Take a walk

May 9, 2014

Written By

Written By: 

digitalart

For my nutrition class freshman year, I had to wear a pedometer everywhere I went for 3 days. I felt a little silly walking around with it attached to my belt loop but at the end of those three days we were able to average our steps and convert it into miles. It was really cool to see how much I was actually walking, on average about 6 miles a day! That 6 miles was just from my daily activities: walking to classes, to the library, to the dining halls. You may not have time to get to the gym everyday but that's okay. You can get a lot of physical activity in just by walking. Try to get in at least 30 minutes a day. If you find you don't have to walk very far in your day to day routine, try going for a walk in College Woods or around the outskirts of campus.

To find out how much you are walking each day, use the UNH Walking Map made by Healthy UNH. This resource has you pinpoint the start and finish on a campus map and calculates the distance for you. You can then add up all the mileage for a day and see if you are on track. The U.S. general surgeon recommends adults walk about 5 miles per day. Try it out today! 

Add comment

Holiday Survival Guide
Did you Know That There is an Employee Health Clinic?
Turn Your Chores into Workouts