Workout without the Hassle
January gym crowds and early semester stress can make working out seem like more of a chore than an enjoyable activity. Going to the gym can be a fantastic way to get fit, but it’s not the only way. You can participate in a variety of physical activities at home or outside that will give you the same health benefits and make exercise a fun part of your everyday life. They key is to find activities that correspond with your personal interests. Incorporating exercise into a more meaningful activity will not only enhance your overall sense of well-being, but will help you naturally adopt fitness into your lifestyle. Check out these fresh ideas to get your body in shape without setting foot in the gym!
- Hit the slopes: Embrace the winter season and spend a day at the mountains skiing with friends. Skiing is proven to enhance an individual’s physical and mental well-being. The winter sport not only increases strength and flexibility, but has been found to improve overall heart health. Adrenaline and endorphins are released into the blood, thereby elevating mood and offering a general sense of contentment and well-being. The cost of lift tickets can be expensive, but several local mountains offer special student discounts. You can get lift tickets at Mount Sunapee with a UNH ID for less than sixty dollars.
- Channel chores into fitness: Think about physical activity as a lifestyle choice rather than a single task to check off your to-do list. Adding movement or activity in small ways can add up to some extra exercise to help us stay healthy or lose weight. Go grocery shopping, use the stairs to do laundry, or clean out that apartment. Dance while cleaning: make dusting and vacuuming fun, healthy activities. Throw on sneakers and put on some upbeat music. If you want to increase the physical challenge, do some push-ups or squats every time a new song starts to play. This way you will get all the benefits of exercise, plus you’ll feel extra productive after a job well done!
- Get involved: Incorporate your interests and talents into your exercise routine. Participating in a sport or activity that you enjoy will improve your sense of self and help minimize any negative feelings towards exercise. If you were a high school athlete, recruit some friends and create an intermural team. If you need a creative outlet, there are many local classes and clubs to check out. Three Bridges Yoga is located in Durham and offers a monthly student pass that includes unlimited yoga classes for only thirty dollars. Or check out the yoga classes at Campus Rec or through Health Services!
- Key Resources
- Physical Activity
- Mental Wellness
- Health Care Consumerism
- Cost Variation
- Appropriate Emergency Room Use
- Avoid Duplicate Radiologic Testing
- Increase Generic Drug Use
- Use Independent Labs
- Healthcare Spending
- Establish a Medical Home
- Understanding Health Insurance
- Using the Health Education Benefit on Campus
- USNH Benefit Resources
- Contact Us