Positive Imagery and its Effects on Well-Being

February 26, 2014

Written By

Written By: 

Kelsey McCullough

In college we are surrounded by nay-sayers. Each day passing people on campus I hear “I just know I’m going to fail”, “I will never be able to finish in time”, or “It’s hopeless”. I have found that in my life by focusing on the positive things and the things that are in my own control I am a happier person. Often times when schoolwork becomes completely overwhelming I like to take a step back and look at all the steps I need to do. Usually if I write down my assignments and due dates school work will seem much less daunting. I also find that keeping a positive attitude when stressed greatly helps my performance. Rather then picturing an upcoming exam to be impossible I like to think about how much information I have gained and remind my self that I am prepared and ready to conquer!

Rather then picturing the worst-case scenario try using positive imagery. “We can turn the tables and use visualization as a creative tool to generate self-confidence, relaxation, and other desired mental states.” Once you see yourself having negative thoughts you can use your own imagination to create a better picture. When I feel stressed, I often imagine myself on a beach being warm, sandy, and happy. It reminds me that whatever I am currently dealing with will pass eventually. Visualization and positive imagery can be used when you are stressed, angry, sad, or even anxious.

Other situations where I use imagery are before interviews and presentations. By acting out the scene in my head I gain confidence and I believe it enhances my performance. There are many forms of positive imagery and everyone performs them differently. The next time you are feeling stressed try going to a quiet room, and taking your mind off of your stressor, visualize yourself overcoming your challenges and take a few deep breaths. The more you practice imagery the easier it will come to you and should be more effective. 

Add comment

The Importance of Healthcare in the Upcoming Election
Fall Foods that Make You Feel Good
Why UNH Should Kick Tobacco to the Curb