Positive Imagery and its Effects on Well-Being

February 26, 2014

Written By

Written By: 

Kelsey McCullough

In college we are surrounded by nay-sayers. Each day passing people on campus I hear “I just know I’m going to fail”, “I will never be able to finish in time”, or “It’s hopeless”. I have found that in my life by focusing on the positive things and the things that are in my own control I am a happier person. Often times when schoolwork becomes completely overwhelming I like to take a step back and look at all the steps I need to do. Usually if I write down my assignments and due dates school work will seem much less daunting. I also find that keeping a positive attitude when stressed greatly helps my performance. Rather then picturing an upcoming exam to be impossible I like to think about how much information I have gained and remind my self that I am prepared and ready to conquer!

Rather then picturing the worst-case scenario try using positive imagery. “We can turn the tables and use visualization as a creative tool to generate self-confidence, relaxation, and other desired mental states.” Once you see yourself having negative thoughts you can use your own imagination to create a better picture. When I feel stressed, I often imagine myself on a beach being warm, sandy, and happy. It reminds me that whatever I am currently dealing with will pass eventually. Visualization and positive imagery can be used when you are stressed, angry, sad, or even anxious.

Other situations where I use imagery are before interviews and presentations. By acting out the scene in my head I gain confidence and I believe it enhances my performance. There are many forms of positive imagery and everyone performs them differently. The next time you are feeling stressed try going to a quiet room, and taking your mind off of your stressor, visualize yourself overcoming your challenges and take a few deep breaths. The more you practice imagery the easier it will come to you and should be more effective. 

Add comment

Decoding What’s In Your Diet
 4 Common Myths of Eating Vegan
Do You Practice Proper Emergency Room Etiquette?