Sleep your way to better health

Written By

Written By: 
graur codrin

Allowing your body to rest and get a good night's sleep is vital to your mental and physical health.Most adults need an average of eight hours of sleep per night.If you are having difficulties getting a good night's sleep, Help Guide has numerous tips on how to sleep better so you can wake up feeling your best. Below are just a few of the many tips.

1.Regulate your sleeping cycle.

It is important to keep your body on the same sleeping cycle.This means waking up and going to bed around the same time each day, even on the weekends.This will help you sleep better because your body will already know when it is time to sleep and when it is time to wake up.Try not to take a nap too late in the day, as it will make it harder to fall asleep later.

2.Induce natural melatonin.

Melatonin is a hormone in your body which helps regulate your sleep cycle.It is induced by light exposure.This means laying in bed on your phone, scrolling through Facebook or checking Instagram, is not going to help you fall asleep.Turn off bright lights and electronics before going to bed and try reading a book to relax instead.

3.Stop worrying.

Many of us may find falling asleep difficult when we cannot seem to stop thinking or worrying.Try to focus instead on relaxing with a breathing technique.If you still cannot stop your thoughts, try jotting them down on paper by your bed.This way, you know you will not forget them and you can review them in the morning.

To learn all of the tips for getting a better night's sleep, check out the Help Guide's website

Comments

UNH Health Services offers students many medical services and counseling/education to assist in getting a better night's sleep. To learn more sleep and services available at UNH, visit http://www.unh.edu/health-services/ohep/sleep. 

When I am having trouble falling asleep, I practice a routine. I relax my feet, then my legs, my breathing, my hands, my arms, my back, my neck and my head. By the time I reach my head, I am usually already asleep!

Add comment

Pet_Therapy_Healthy_UNH_Blog_Photo
Healthy UNH Healthcare Requirements Photo
Healthy UNH Blog Gym Fitness