Birth Control Costs and The Affordable Care Act

July 29, 2013

Written By

BrandonSigma

In today’s world, many women attend college, get successful jobs, and travel the world, all before they even consider having a baby. In my current situation, 20 years old, Dietetics major, homework all the time, I cannot even imagine having a child. Birth control helps women establish themselves and become financially stable before getting pregnant. According to a recent study by the Guttmacher Institute, 65% of women report using birth control because they cannot afford to have a child. 69% of women reported not being able to take on the financial responsibility of a new baby. Financial stability is the number one reason women use contraceptives. Not only does birth control help women become financially independent, but it also can help cut the cost of Medicaid. The Guttmacher Institute has research that states that for every dollar spent helping women avoid unwanted pregnancies, $3.74 is saved in Medicare expenses.

The Affordable Care Act, (ACA) is making the costs of getting birth control very easy on women! For women who have health insurance, the ACA eliminates out-of-pocket costs. The ACA is also eliminated all out-of-pocket costs for all preventive visits for all Americans. Preventive services for women include mammograms and annual well-visits with your healthcare provider.

I recently went to Rite Aid and got my contraception prescription refilled and was so surprised when I didn’t have to pay a copay! It usually costs me $17 dollars a month! If you are wondering why your birth control hasn’t been free yet this year, the official start date for this was August 1, 2012. But different insurance companies have different dates when plan changes take effect, so call your insurance provider to find out when this date will be for you!

Add comment

Doctor with Patient
Beach Volleyball
Farmers Market Blog