Wellness at Work

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Microsoft Office

The average full-time employee in the United States works 30 hours or more per week. That adds up to a lot of time spent in the workplace each year! While many people take steps to create a healthy living space at home it can be challenging to stay healthy while at work. While it might not be possible to control where you work, there are steps you can take in order to try and stay healthy while on the job.

Keep Moving

Some jobs have moving incorporated into them, but many Americans work desk jobs that don’t require much movement. One way to get more activity while working a desk job is stand up as often as possible. If it’s an option, get a high desk where you can stand. If that isn’t possible, try sitting on an exercise ball instead of a desk chair. Not only does it help improve posture, but engages your core all while getting work done! 

Stay Hydrated

During a stressful workday it can be easy to forget to take care of yourself. One simple way to stay healthy at work is to keep a water bottle filled up and carry it with you throughout the day. Not only does staying hydrated keep you healthy, taking time out of your busy day to re-fill it provides you necessary breaks from the craziness of work.

Pack Healthy Snacks and Meals

While hitting up the vending machine or the fast food locations close to work can be convenient, it isn’t always the healthiest option. Try packing your lunch and some healthy snacks to get you through the day. Not only will it help you stay well while at work, it will also save you money!

These are a few tips to get you started in the direction of staying well while at work. There are many more steps you can take in order to improve your experience at work. Visit this website to learn more about creating a healthy workplace.

Comments

Wellness at Work

This past summer I was a waitress at a seafood restaurant. There was always french fries available to us and we would get half off on any meal, which were all mostly fried. Instead of giving into my cravings, I would bring a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on whole wheat and an apple! I constantly filled my cup with water and if I had to eat something there, It was usually the vegetable side. Thankfully with waitressing, I was constantly running around!