Protection on the Move

April 4, 2013

Written By

Written By: 

We live in a time where people are constantly on the move. Whether driving, jogging, biking or anything else you can think of, it is VERY important to make sure you are being safe with whatever you are doing. In honor of National Public Health Week, here are some great tips on how you can stay safe on the move!

If you're driving:

• WEAR YOUR SEATBELT!! Seatbelts are so important for keeping you safe in the event of a car accident. It literally takes 2 seconds to buckle up, so no matter how short the drive, buckle up.
  • Stop texting! You really do not need to send your text message as badly as you think you do. If it is that important pull over for a minute. Phone usage is a huge distraction to your driving and by using your phone you are putting yourself and others at risk.
  • If you're on a motorcycle, bicycle or scooter, WEAR YOUR HELMENT! A helmet protects your head and face in the event of an accident and can be crucial to your life.

If you're a pedestrian:

• Be alert! Make sure you are mindful of traffic by looking both ways and obeying traffic rules.
  • If traveling at night, make sure to wear reflective gear and bright colors, so you can still be seen in the dark.

Most importantly in being safe on the move is to use your common sense! For more tips and advice on how to be safe while traveling, check out the National Public Health Week's website.

I get so nervous when I am driving because there are so many cyclists and runners out now that it is getting warmer! When I run in the evening, I wear sneakers that have reflectors on them, not only are they stylish, but I know that people can see me and will avoid me when driving at night! 

Add comment

The Importance of Healthcare in the Upcoming Election
Fall Foods that Make You Feel Good
Why UNH Should Kick Tobacco to the Curb