Relationships Improve Mental Health

Written By

Written By: 
mr lightman

Roses are red, violets are blue, Valentine's Day is coming, in only a few! Excuse my lame attempt at a poem, but whether you like it or not Valentine's Day is right around the corner.  Some people are excited to take their significant others out for a special date and others are sitting in their room stewing over how this is the world's stupidest holiday. Whether you are pro-Valentine's Day or completely against it, there is no denying that it takes a toll on your mental health in some way.

In an article written by Healthews Daily, the mental tolls of being single vs. in a relationship are weighed.  A study done by Florida State University showed that people in committed relationships have significantly fewer mental health problems than those that are single. People who are single have more issues with depression, anxiety, mood disorders, suicidal behavior, etc. Now, I am not saying that you have to go find yourself a boyfriend or girlfriend right this second in order to be mentally sane, but if you're one of those people who shies away at the thought of relationships, maybe you should give it a try. If not, at least there is a ton of chocolate around that has known benefits to your mental health!

Comments

I think having a committed relationship is great! My boyfriend makes me laugh everyday and I look forward to see him even if I'm having the worst day! It gives me something to look forward to every single day! 

great resource here

Add comment

Reasons to Eat Fruits and Vegetables Blog Post from Italy
Cat Cycles, Healthy UNH Blog Post Photo of a Cyclist
Healthy UNH Commuter Connection Blog