Friends Are the Key to Your Mental Health

January 25, 2013

Written By

Written By: 

Being a student is almost a guarantee that at some point you are going to be stressed out and overwhelmed. When you have a horrible week and are up to your eyeballs in homework, exams and extracurricular activities, how do you make time for yourself? Some things I have done in the past to help get away are taking a nap, going for a run, taking a yoga class and even catching up on my favorite TV shows on Netflix. But one of my favorite things to do for myself is surrounding myself with my friends.

According to Self Magazine, hanging out with your friends is crucial to your mental health. Why are friends so critical to mental health you ask? Well for one, friends tell it how it is. Whether you are going through a tough time or just need someone to talk to, friends are honest and have your best interests at heart. Another reason to surround yourself with friends is that they are actually good for your health. Friends want the best for you and having the feeling of being close with a group of people and having a support system can actually improve your overall health. For example, in 2006 the Nurses' Health Study found that having a close group of friends and family was linked with survival of breast cancer in woman. So if you are ever feeling exhausted or like you need a mental break, call up your close friends or even make some new ones to reap these benefits.

Comments

Great and awesome informative article. Yes true friends are very impotant in every one life. Friend the person from those we can share each secrits and talks. As friends are important in our life and so meditation and yoga is also impotant in our life, so we have to keep doing yoga and join some meditation courses for our mind, body and sou peace

Add comment

Doctor with Patient
Beach Volleyball
Farmers Market Blog