Why Students Should Care About Health Care Costs

October 12, 2012

Written By

Written By: 

ddpuvumba

One of the biggest complaints about organic food is that it is too expensive.

Well, in many cases that is in fact true. However, organic food may cost more, but that's because it is worth more.

One way I like to rationalize paying more for organic food is to think about all the good things it does for my health and the earth, and how the extra bucks really are worth it in the long run. Usually I run this list over and over in my head as I near the checkout aisles...

• It supports sustainable agriculture
  • I won't be consuming any pesticides
  • I won't be consuming and GMOs
  • (If buying locally) I know the farm where this is coming from
  • I'm eating food the way nature intended it to be
  • I'm taking preventative measures for my health
  • I'm taking preventative measures for the health of the planet

These sort of things help me realize that choosing to eat organic may cost more up front at the check out aisle, but if I continue to eat healthy organic food, I'm really taking preventative measures for my health. This, in turn, would allow me to potentially save money from doctor's bills in the future.

Many people find it easier to think about it this way:

"Would you rather pay your farmer now, or pay your doctor later?" 

For me, I want to see my hard earned dollar in the mud-stained hands of my farmer.

The USDA has put together a great website to help consumers know their farmer and know their food, click here to be brought to the page.

Add comment

Beat Those Winter Blues!   Tips for staying active and off the couch during the cold winter months
The Benefits of Massage Therapy at UNH
 New Semester, New Workout Routine