Health Services: Massage Therapy

March 26, 2012

Written By

Written By: 

Usually when I think of Health Services on campus I think of the place I would go if I’m feeling sick and need medical care or a prescription.  However, after visiting the UNH Health Services website I realized how many other helpful programs and services they provide for the UNH community.  One service they provide is massage therapy.

Massage therapy can be used simply for relaxation and stress relief.  Many athletes use it to relieve pain from sore muscles and joints.  Also, the health benefits of massage therapy extend to alleviating digestive problems, high blood pressure and depression.  Swedish massage is the standard type of massage, however, health services also offers hot stone massage which places hot stones on specific muscles to relieve tension. 

All massages offered at health services are 50 minutes long.  Traditional massages are $35 for students and $45 for faculty and staff; hot stone massages are $45 for students and $55 for faculty and staff.  You can set up an appointment online, call (603) 862-3823 or go to room 249 in the health services building. Also, you can purchase a gift certificate online and give a massage as a gift.  I got my roommate a massage gift certificate from Health Services this semester and she absolutely loved it!  She said it was the most relaxed she’s felt all year.

Check out the health services website for a plethora of other services they offer including many different types of counseling, light therapy for Seasonal Affective Disorder and support groups.  I know I am going to take advantage of more of the services that are provided right on campus and I encourage you to do the same! 

Comments

While a massage is a luxury that’s
great for promoting relaxation, specific health benefits come from
physiotherapy, which helps to correct a variety of musculoskeletal problems.
Most of us only come into contact with physiotherapists after an injury or
operation, but they can also help with underlying problems that cause long-term
pain and discomfort.

Thanks,

Add comment

Doctor with Patient
Beach Volleyball
Farmers Market Blog