Spotlight On: Brandon Ransom

December 3, 2014

a couple parasailing over the ocean.

Civil Engineering

What does health mean to you?: To me, health means to be satisfied mentally, emotionally, and physically.

What do you do to make a Healthy UNH?: To satisfy my physical health, I try to exercise a few times a week. I do this by going to the gym, bike to/from class, and occasionally go for a run around campus. A couple of my friends and I had actually attempted to start up a student-organized running club here at UNH, where we would still compete but not require as much of a time commitment as some of the other UNH teams. I also try to eat healthy, which is not terribly hard at the dining hall. I am conscious of whether I am eating a balanced meal, and I stay away from some of the unhealthier food/drink options. To satisfy my emotional health, I try not to hang myself up on issues that project negative feelings. That is, if I have some sort of an issue, I am much more comfortable with coming up with a solution to that issue than I am dwelling on it. I satisfy my mental health by exercising my ability to learn. This is obviously maintained somewhat by the education program at UNH, but also partly by learning outside of school. I try to stay updated with what's going on around me, and learn about anything that is of interest to me.

How do you stay fit?: I kind of answered this above, but I have been trying to fall into a routine lately -- a routine that includes exercising multiple times a week. It takes some will power at first, but I think it's definitely worth it in the long run.

Do you have any tips for eating healthfully?: You can eat anything in moderation. Don't get carried away eating sweets, but it's not awful to treat yourself occasionally. Sometimes you might have to think ahead to make sure you have time to eat a healthy meal three times a day.

How do you find motivation to stay healthy?: I've just realized that I feel better about myself when I make healthy decisions. It's just being conscious of how decisions may affect your future. Sometimes it's hard to push past the mental barrier, but I try to reason with myself when I have to.

Have you made any tangible improvements to your physical or mental well-being by making positive changes in your life?: With regards to mental well-being, I keep my grades at a level I am satisfied with. Grades provide the opportunity to quantify how much effort is being put in to your education, so leveraging that can inspire some motivation. Physically, I wouldn't say I am incredibly fit, but I competed in a triathlon both last year and this year as a way to prove to myself that I am at a good level of physical health. It was a good way to keep myself motivated and actually following through was a great experience and reward.

Anything else you would like to add?: I love that you are helping keep people conscious about the importance of health. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share my thoughts. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help!!

You Are Paying the Health Fee… So Why Not Use it?
Do you know about UNH’s Policy on Tobacco?
Walk Your Way Right Into A Healthier Life!