Spotlight On: Steven Troy

November 8, 2013

Steven Troy

Resident Assistant
ResLife

Year Started at UNH: 2011

What does health mean to you? To me, health means eating well, exercising daily, and enjoying time with friends and family.

What do you do to make a Healthy UNH? I like to think that the little things in life make a big difference.  For example, I am on the UNH Club Tennis Team and I work with my teammates to design and lead drills for our practices.  I try to focus on the non-physical side of health as well, like helping a classmate in need, smiling at a stranger, or catching up with an old friend.

How do you stay fit? I try my best to exercise every day. On days when the weather is nice, I will almost always play tennis; on rainy days, I will usually play basketball or squash at the gym. I also try to eat at least one salad per day and stay away from processed foods.

Do you have any tips for eating healthfully? When eating at the dining hall, try using the Wildcat Plate as a guide when selecting foods.  It is based off of the USDA recommendations for food choices and using it is a good way to ensure that you pick a wide variety of foods at every meal.

How do you find motivation to stay healthy? I try to find enjoyment in my daily exercise and foods that I eat.  For me, I am motivated most when I exercise with others and that is why I enjoy playing sports such as tennis, basketball, and squash.  I also like trying new foods and recipes which keeps healthy eating fun.

Have you made any tangible improvements to your physical or mental well-being by making positive changes in your life? Lately, I have been focusing on improving my sleep schedule.  It can be easy to sacrifice sleep for something more exciting, but sometimes it can backfire in the form of sleep deprivation.  My goal has been to sleep for at least seven hours every night and I have noticed that I feel less fatigued at the end of the day because of it.

Anything else you would like to add? Join a club sport team through UNH Campus Recreation!  I may be a bit biased since I am on the UNH Club Tennis Team, but club sports are a great way to get exercise in while meeting new people and having fun.

Infused-Water Recipes You Should Try
Projecting Positivity