Spotlight On: Shawn Herrick

Sean Herrick

Sr. GIS Analyst
Facilities / Campus Planning

Years Worked at UNH: 11

What does health mean to you?: It means an investment in my family’s physical and mental well-being. It means being able to keep up with my 17 month old son now and in the future. It means I am doing everything I can to ensure an adventurous life with my beautiful wife and son. It means taking time to make better life decisions for myself, my family, and those I interact with every day.

What do you do to make a Healthy UNH?: I participate in the Wildcat Workout Project (WWP) at the Field House and have been reaping the benefits ever since! Having done the ‘on-again-off-again’ gym routine, I find this to be challenging and exciting. I also advocate for UNH’s ‘walking-campus’ philosophy and take every chance I get to walk to my destination on campus, whether it’s for lunch, a meeting, or part of my regular job responsibilities. I also take every opportunity to participate in programs offered through my health care provider as well as Healthy UNH and this helps me stay on top of my biometric measurements.

How do you stay fit?: I participate in the Wildcat Workout Project three times per week for an hour at a time. On the other days, my wife and I walk our son around town to various places. In general we try to get outside as often as we can. It’s not only good to be active, but it’s building a healthy habit for our son.

Do you have any tips for eating healthfully?: One thing that I do is support local agriculture. I not only buy into the idea of eating local, but I also buy into Community Supported Agriculture (CSA), which helps keep my eating habits healthy. I get all sorts of leafy greens and other vegetables as well as fresh fruit. The numerous farmers markets are another great source of local vegetables and meat too! However, eating healthy can be hard! Sometimes, I indulge a little….or a lot, but no matter what, I do my best to rebound back into those heathy habits.

How do you find motivation to stay healthy?: Motivation can be the hardest part. I find motivation by thinking of all the outdoor adventures I want to have with my family - I grew up camping, canoeing, fishing, playing on the beach, hiking in the mountains, and I want my son to have the same experiences. If I’m not healthy, I won’t be able to take him to all those wonderful places.

Have you made any tangible improvements to your physical or mental well-being by making positive changes in your life?: I have always been a happy and positive person and although the increased physical activity has been great for my mentality, it’s been the physical side of things that needed work. Recently, I have been making great strides in my own personal weight loss saga - so far I have lost over 10% of my body weight! I am about a third of the way to my goal, which is just to be normal weight for someone of my height and age. I attribute my personal success to the increased physical activity through the Wildcat Workout Project, the great trainers there, and my family for their support!

Anything else you would like to add?: Don’t give up, keep trying. I have been doing this for a long time and I am finally making great strides towards a healthier lifestyle!

Nutrition National Nutrition Month Healthy UNH Photo
Mental Wellness Sleep Deprivation Healthy UNH