Spotlight On: Sharon Flanagan

October 18, 2013

Sharon Flanagan

Employment Coordinator
Human Resources

Year Started at UNH:1996

What does health mean to you?: Health means feeling good physically as well as mentally.

What do you do to make a Healthy UNH?: I attend Healthy Returns, participate in the Wellness Connection program, go at least twice a week to the UNH Employee Fitness Center at the Field House and I walk with several of my friends at my lunch hour around campus.

How do you stay fit?: I belong to a gym and take several group exercise classes, get in at least twice a week strength training, walk most days and generally just staying active and I keep moving. That is the key, to stay active and keep moving to keep your body from stiffening up.

Do you have any tips for eating healthfully?: Moderation is the key. Don’t deprive yourself of anything you really are craving. Fruits and Veggies are the most important food group and the rest just control your portions. I drink lots of water. Always have a cup of water on my desk. Never drink soda. My grandchildren refer to my “Grammy’s homemade meals” or “Grammy made this from scratch” (I just love that!). Eat very little process foods and try to make everything yourself so you know what is it in your food.

How do you find motivation to stay healthy?: I just look at my three beautiful grandchildren and that is motivation enough! Also, I have one life and one body and I want to treat it in the best way I know how so I live a long time. I have a lot of living to do and want to enjoy life as best I can while being healthy!

Have you made any tangible improvements to your physical or mental well-being by making positive changes in your life?: I do read nutrition labels; I try to only eat out a couple of times a month (unless I am on vacation!). I try to hang around positive people. Negative people just don’t fit in with my style.

Anything else you would like to add?: Well the choice is yours. You can either just sit on the couch and pig out, sit at a bar and drink the night away, and after doing these types of activities, feel lousy, or keep moving and exercise every day by going for walks with your friends, meeting people at the gym. Eat healthy by cooking meals with your family and friends, and feel so good mentally and physically afterwards. The choice is yours and yours alone. So make the right choice and I can guarantee you, if you make the right choice you will reap the benefits and feel great!

Doctor with Patient
Beach Volleyball
Farmers Market Blog