Spotlight On: Rhiannon C. Beauregard

May 2, 2013

Rhiannon C. Beauregard

Program Coordinator, 4-H Animal and Agricultural Science
UNH Cooperative Extension

Year Started at UNH: 2011

What does health mean to you?: Health means a lot to me- without health I couldn't be a functioning and contributing member of society! When I applied for my position at UNH, one of the things that attracted me to work for UNH was how much it seemed like as a campus they put health as a priority!

What do you do to make a Healthy UNH?: I do a lot! I drink out of my Healthy UNH water bottle that I got when I was hired! I walk to campus from my office in Moiles House. I use my Wellness Connection dollars to attend yoga classes twice a week and I attend a weekly Weight Watchers at Work meeting on campus! I participate in the variety of activities UNH has to offer, including the snowshoeing clinic through UNH Outdoor Adventures this past winter. I also compete at the UNH Dressage Shows that UNH puts on each year with my horse (the photo is of us last year at the UNH Dressage Show- you can see the UNH Observatory in the background!) There are so many opportunities to be healthy at UNH!

How do you stay fit?: I ride my horse 3-5 times per week, I do yoga at least twice a week, and I walk my dog a lot. About two years ago, I had major spinal surgery that changed my whole perception on exercise, health, wellness, and well- life! An athlete my whole life, I had to think well-ness, over fit-ness. What I found is that I can have well-ness and fit-ness!

Do you have any tips for eating healthfully?: Fresh fruits, vegetables, and portion control. Being a lifetime member of Weight Watchers has taught me to make good choices and be rewarded for healthy choices! I also plan ahead so that I can make healthy choices. I am a huge fan of slow cooking!

How do you find motivation to stay healthy?: Healthy to me = pain free. Being out of pain is a huge motivator. That means I need to watch my diet, my exercise, and my level of fitness. Feeling good and pain-free is a huge motivator.

Have you made any tangible improvements to your physical or mental well-being by making positive changes in your life?: I’ve changed my mindset that exercise doesn't have to be this rigid, organized event. I find a tremendous benefit to my mind, body, and soul by brushing my horse, going on a walk with my dog, doing housework, or doing a gentle/restorative yoga class. When I used to think exercise was about pushing myself, I missed out on a huge benefit of exercise: relaxation. I now try to look at exercise as a way to relax and be grateful for my body, not try to see how far I can go.

Anything else you would like to add?: I relearned how to be active after a major injury, surgery, and very long recovery period. Anyone can reinvent themselves into a healthy, active person. It’s never too early (or too late!). And never say never- I never thought I would ride my beautiful horse again, and we are back to it!

Create a Smoke-Free Environment for Those Around You
UNH Dining Using Local Foods
Healthy UNH Mental Wellness