Spotlight On: Olivia Saunders

Olivia Saunders

Field Specialist in Food & Agriculture
UNH Cooperative Extension

Years Worked at UNH: 2

What does health mean to you?: Simple meals, plenty of outdoor activities, and peace of mind. Keeping my mind & body in balance.

What do you do to make a Healthy UNH?: Eat lots of vegetables! Occasionally my office mates and I will go out for a post-work bike ride and share in a pot luck after. We don’t often have time to engage socially, and this way we encourage each other to stay active and be happy. We hope to do a few more rides before the season is over!

How do you stay fit?: I live in a place where you don’t need a gym membership to stay active. I enjoy mountain biking and taking my cyclocross out on the dirt roads, long lake swims, and hikes with friends. In winter, I trade my bike for cross country skis or ice skates.

Do you have any tips for eating healthfully?: Even though I’ve been cooking for years, there is still no substitute for browsing through a good cookbook. I get ideas and it helps me to prepare nutritious, wholesome meals. You can often find me thumbing through one of Mark Bittman’s books over breakfast.

How do you find motivation to stay healthy?: I’m a very goal oriented runner. I know this about myself. So this summer I signed up for the Granite Man triathlon to motivate me to stay fit. It’s been great to train all summer long, and I probably wouldn't have been so committed without a race event in mind.

Have you made any tangible improvements to your physical or mental well-being by making positive changes in your life?: Staying fit is an intentional act. I like to set positive goals for myself, or plan activities with friends

Anything else you would like to add?: When I’m really working hard I tell myself, until you really push, you never know how much you've really got. I know I always have more to give, more to push, I just have to find the will to do it.

Mental Wellness Employee Assistance Program Healthy UNH Photo
Mental Wellness Massage Therapy Healthy UNH Photo
Mental Wellness Self Esteem Healthy UNH Blog Photo