Spotlight On: Nilda Janelle

January 30, 2013

Nilda Janelle

Senior Business Services Assistant
Business Services

Year Started at UNH: 1977

What does health mean to you?: Health means taking care of myself, physically and emotionally and eating a healthy diet.

What do you do to make a Healthy UNH?: I talk to my friends and co-workers about the importance of exercise and moving and trying to eat a healthy diet. We are fortunate here at UNH to have insurance that pays for a gym membership. I hope everyone will take advantage of it.

How do you stay fit?: I go to the gym 2-3 times a week, walk and ride my bicycle. I also mow my lawn, take care of flower and a vegetable garden and in the winter I shovel snow.

Do you have any tips for eating healthfully?: I buy lots of fresh vegetables and fruit. I also need to cook good, healthy meals. It is not always easy to cook for one person. I know my weaknesses and try not to have those types of foods in the house. Weight has been a battle that I have fought all my life since a child.

How do you find motivation to stay healthy?: As I age I realize how much more important it is to take care of my body and eat healthy. Weight training at the gym has been one thing that has helped me tremendously.

Have you made any tangible improvements to your physical or mental well-being by making positive changes in your life?: Going to the gym on a weekly basis and trying to maintain a healthy weight. The exercise is also good for my mental health – it gives me more energy and has made me stronger. A year ago I trained for the Three Notch Bicycle Ride and I completed it, which was a big accomplishment for me at age 62. I am hoping to do it again this year.

Doctor with Patient
Beach Volleyball
Farmers Market Blog