Spotlight On: Nikki Hentz

September 19, 2013

Nikki Hentz

Interlibrary Loan Assistant
Dimond Library Interlibrary Loan

Year Started at UNH: 2009

What does health mean to you?: Health means not feeling crappy and having the energy and ability to do fun things. And also, looking good - vanity. It’s for real.

What do you do to make a Healthy UNH?: I don’t jaywalk.

How do you stay fit?: I don’t eat carbs; I try to do exercise-y type things a few days a week. I was really into Step Aerobics for a while, I also do Pilates, I walk my dog, ride a bike. I’m also in a local Burlesque troupe, so our practices count as exercise, right? I've been counting them on the Wellness Connection Activity Log gift card thingy.

Do you have any tips for eating healthfully?: Don’t eat chocolate cake for every meal. But seriously, I stay away from carbs. I haven’t eaten carbs on the regular for 7 months and I lost 30 lbs. I also feel better and never get that starving feeling. Cutting out carbs is like magic, and it does not actually kill you, cave men didn’t eat bread, think about it. At the very least, I participate in Healthy UNH Rewards Biometric Screenings twice a year; I had the best cholesterol and blood sugar results ever!

How do you find motivation to stay healthy?: I want to stay fabulous for as long as possible. And be fit for my Burlesque troupe.

Have you made any tangible improvements to your physical or mental well-being by making positive changes in your life?: The low carb thing has changed my life. I lost 30 lbs of chub and gained a bunch of confidence.

Are you more nervous about the “Final Exam 15” rather than the “Freshman 15?”
Frazzle Free Finals
Walking in Stride