Spotlight On: Marc Flore

Marc Flore

Senior Data Analyst
Institute for Health Policy and Practice

Years Worked at UNH: 3

What does health mean to you?: Health means doing what I want, when I want, without having to worry about my body holding me back.

What do you do to make a Healthy UNH?: I bring humor to the office. Humor has been shown to improve health. I also encourage people to try things like Ultimate Frisbee, Disc Golf, and to join me at Healthy UNH events.

How do you stay fit?: I recently joined the Employee Fitness Program, which I recommend. I was paired up with a senior Kinesiology student who is wonderful. He has shown me around the gym, a place I used to avoid. I attend as many Healthy UNH events as possible, including Healthy Returns and a recent snowshoeing trip out to college woods. I play Ultimate Frisbee and Disc Golf.

Do you have any tips for eating healthfully?: I find that if I fill up on healthier foods, I’m not scrounging for the bad stuff as often. I also try to avoid grocery shopping while hungry. If I buy it, I will eat it. Avoiding temptation is easier than finding the willpower to say “no”.

How do you find motivation to stay healthy?: I’ve spent a good portion of my life overweight and out of shape. I find that I’m much happier when I’m fit & healthy. I’m able to do things I could not do before and I enjoy many activities much more than I used to.

Have you made any tangible improvements to your physical or mental well-being by making positive changes in your life?: I’ve lowered my BMI, cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood sugar. Most of these were a result of small changes to my diet and increased activity - nothing drastic.

Anything else you would like to add?: I find that once I go home after work, I’m unlikely to exercise. If I do something first thing in the morning, or just after work, I’m a lot more likely to do something active.

Walk NH at UNH photo
Healthy UNH Outdoors Program
Nutrition Label Food Shopping Healthy UNH Blog