Spotlight On: Leah Burke, Intern

February 25, 2013

Leah Burke

Intern
Institute for Health Policy and Practice

Year Started at UNH: 2011

What does health mean to you?: Health is the general feeling of wellness that I have: physically, mentally and emotionally. Keeping these three balanced makes me feel my best and most energetic.

What do you do to make a Healthy UNH?: I love to cook! Cooking keeps me in touch with my health because I know exactly what I’m putting into my body and how it makes me feel. Taking the time to prepare food for yourself makes you respect what you’re eating and where your food is coming from. Also, it’s a lot of fun and very gratifying.

How do you stay fit?: I try to sneak in exercise wherever possible. For example, since I live on the third floor of my apartment building, I do lunges up the stairs to my door. It doesn't take any extra time out of my day, but I can definitely feel the difference.

Do you have any tips for eating healthfully?: I would recommend avoiding processed foods as much as possible, and using the best ingredients while cooking. Not only are foods grown locally fresher and have more nutrients, you’re also supporting your local economy by buying from members of your community.

How do you find motivation to stay healthy?: I stay motivated by setting goals. For example, I have a friend who is hosting a 5k race later in the spring. When I have a fitness goal to strive for, I’m more motivated to do the small things that will keep me in shape and healthy until then.

Have you made any tangible improvements to your physical or mental well-being by making positive changes in your life?: Keeping myself de-stressed with relaxation techniques such as yoga, stretching and breathing exercises has affected my body in surprising ways, such as sleeping better at night and clearer skin.

Beat Those Winter Blues!   Tips for staying active and off the couch during the cold winter months
The Benefits of Massage Therapy at UNH
 New Semester, New Workout Routine