Spotlight On: Laura Davie

September 24, 2010

Laura Davie

Project Director
NH Institute for Health Policy and Practice

Year Started at UNH: 2001

What does health mean to you?: Health is a combination of feeling physically fit, having good “numbers” (like blood pressure and cholesterol), and feeling well mentally.

What do you do to make a Healthy UNH?: I consider the cost of services across different providers when I need care, see a chiropractor on a regular bases, take advantage of the exercise opportunities on campus, eat healthy foods, and listen to music when I am getting stressed at work.

How do you stay fit?: Right now I am biking a lot but I also hike, use the elliptical machine, lift weights, stretch, Pilates, and walk the dog.

Do you have any tips for eating healthfully?: The key for me is to not have unhealthy things in the house or in the office. If I can see it, I will eat it.

How do you find motivation to stay healthy?: I just feel better when I am exercising and my clothes fit.

Have you made any tangible improvements to your physical or mental well-being by making positive changes in your life?: Recently, I significantly reduced the amount of caffeinated diet soda I was drinking (down to one a day!). While I still drink coffee, I have not increased my coffee intake. I feel more rested in the morning and have fewer energy swings during the day.

Fall Foods that Make You Feel Good
Why UNH Should Kick Tobacco to the Curb
 Signs and Symptoms of Stress You May Be Overlooking