Spotlight On: Laura Davie

September 24, 2010

Laura Davie

Project Director
NH Institute for Health Policy and Practice

Year Started at UNH: 2001

What does health mean to you?: Health is a combination of feeling physically fit, having good “numbers” (like blood pressure and cholesterol), and feeling well mentally.

What do you do to make a Healthy UNH?: I consider the cost of services across different providers when I need care, see a chiropractor on a regular bases, take advantage of the exercise opportunities on campus, eat healthy foods, and listen to music when I am getting stressed at work.

How do you stay fit?: Right now I am biking a lot but I also hike, use the elliptical machine, lift weights, stretch, Pilates, and walk the dog.

Do you have any tips for eating healthfully?: The key for me is to not have unhealthy things in the house or in the office. If I can see it, I will eat it.

How do you find motivation to stay healthy?: I just feel better when I am exercising and my clothes fit.

Have you made any tangible improvements to your physical or mental well-being by making positive changes in your life?: Recently, I significantly reduced the amount of caffeinated diet soda I was drinking (down to one a day!). While I still drink coffee, I have not increased my coffee intake. I feel more rested in the morning and have fewer energy swings during the day.

Managing Stress In a Stressful Environment
The Not so Sweet Facts on Sugar-Sweetened Beverages
3 Reasons to Eat Eggs