Spotlight On: Ken Fuld

September 9, 2013

Ken Fuld

Dean
College of Liberal Arts

Year Started at UNH: 1978

What does health mean to you?: Health is the condition of the body and mind as they carry out their normal biological and psychological functions.

What do you do to make a Healthy UNH?: Besides attempting to stay fit (see below), I try to eat well. My attempts are often unsuccessful, but if I adhere to the principle “everything in moderation,” I generally meet my goals.

How do you stay fit?: I try to workout 5 or 6 days per week. I run for an hour on each of three days; the other three days I do some other aerobic exercise (e.g., elliptical) for 30 minutes followed by weight training.

Do you have any tips for eating healthfully?: Everything in moderation.

How do you find motivation to stay healthy?: The dividends come after the workout. Rather than feeling sluggish and tired during workday afternoons, I feel energized. When I hike or kayak or engage in some other recreational activity requiring physical exertion, I don’t suffer from fatigue, which would otherwise detract from the experience.

Have you made any tangible improvements to your physical or mental well-being by making positive changes in your life?: To be honest, I don’t see changes to my physical health, but I feel better, and I believe my mental health is improved. I feel generally less stressed and happier when I work out and eat well.

Anything else you would like to add?: The Employee Fitness Center is one of UNH’s hidden jewels. Tim Quinn and his colleagues (Dain LaRoche, Summer Cook, and Melissa Rodgers), with the help of their students, run a first-rate exercise center—excellent equipment, available instruction, friendly atmosphere. It’s almost fun to exercise when I’m at the Field House.

Fiber and It's Essential Nutrition Benefits
UNH Employee Fitness Program
Are You Eating Enough Fish?