Spotlight On: Ken Fuld

September 9, 2013

Ken Fuld

Dean
College of Liberal Arts

Year Started at UNH: 1978

What does health mean to you?: Health is the condition of the body and mind as they carry out their normal biological and psychological functions.

What do you do to make a Healthy UNH?: Besides attempting to stay fit (see below), I try to eat well. My attempts are often unsuccessful, but if I adhere to the principle “everything in moderation,” I generally meet my goals.

How do you stay fit?: I try to workout 5 or 6 days per week. I run for an hour on each of three days; the other three days I do some other aerobic exercise (e.g., elliptical) for 30 minutes followed by weight training.

Do you have any tips for eating healthfully?: Everything in moderation.

How do you find motivation to stay healthy?: The dividends come after the workout. Rather than feeling sluggish and tired during workday afternoons, I feel energized. When I hike or kayak or engage in some other recreational activity requiring physical exertion, I don’t suffer from fatigue, which would otherwise detract from the experience.

Have you made any tangible improvements to your physical or mental well-being by making positive changes in your life?: To be honest, I don’t see changes to my physical health, but I feel better, and I believe my mental health is improved. I feel generally less stressed and happier when I work out and eat well.

Anything else you would like to add?: The Employee Fitness Center is one of UNH’s hidden jewels. Tim Quinn and his colleagues (Dain LaRoche, Summer Cook, and Melissa Rodgers), with the help of their students, run a first-rate exercise center—excellent equipment, available instruction, friendly atmosphere. It’s almost fun to exercise when I’m at the Field House.

Are You Getting Enough Exercise?
Nutrition Iron Deficiency HUNH
Health_Care_Consumerism_HUNH