Spotlight On: Julia A. Camacho

October 29, 2013

Julia A. Camacho

Former Student, AFROTC Cadet
Air Force ROTC

Year Started at UNH: 2009

What does health mean to you?: To me, health means self-control, which essentially leads to happiness.

What do you do to make a Healthy UNH?: I often go on runs around campus at the outdoor track, in College Woods, or at the Hamel Center for Recreation. I play intramural sports, go to Zumba and kick-boxing!

How do you stay fit?: I stay fit by working out at least four times a week, which includes my morning Physical Training with AFROTC. My other workouts include going to the gym or just going on a run. I usually set short term goals for myself before the workout to keep myself motivated. It is also good for me to have a long term goal such as a race; something I can train for and look forward to.

Do you have any tips for eating healthfully?: One thing that helps me to eat healthfully is following health blogs on all my social networks. It helps to see what other people like me are eating. Don't eat just because you are bored. I always try to eat everything on my plate, even after I am full, and I end up regretting it. So, stop eating if you aren't hungry anymore.

How do you find motivation to stay healthy?: Without my mental health, I cannot earn my degree and without my physical health, I have no mental clarity. When I look for motivation to stay healthy, I remind myself who I am representing every day; my family, my culture, women, etc. all of these keep me on track to becoming and staying an overall healthy person.

Have you made any tangible improvements to your physical or mental well-being by making positive changes in your life?: The biggest change I have seen in myself is an attitude change. I have already spent too many years feeling uncomfortable with who I am, but actively working on my health has changed this. For example, each time I set a new personal record on one of my runs, I feel like I can do anything. Positivity and confidence are key.

Anything else you would like to add?: "You are like a chair and physical, mental, social, and spiritual health are each a leg of that chair. If one leg is shorter than the others or missing entirely, that chair will still stand up. However, when pressures are put on it or someone tries to sit in that chair it will fall over because it is imbalanced."

Tags: 

Health_Care_Consumerism_HUNH
Healthy UNH Community Testing Program
Healthy UNH Gluten Free Blog