Spotlight On: Bentley Bonnell

September 4, 2013

Bentley Bonnell

Lead Personal Trainer
Campus Recreation

Year Started at UNH: 2009

What does health mean to you?: Being healthy is a lifestyle choice that encompasses more than one component. A healthy diet, exercise program, and strong relationship with family and friends, are just examples of some components of health that aggregate to promote an overall feeling of fulfillment in life. I use these components to create a healthy lifestyle for myself and balance that allows me experience life to the fullest.

What do you do to make a Healthy UNH?: I try to be promoter of healthy habits at UNH. I believe leading by example is the best way to do this. When I’m not in class or at my job, I’m working out. When I’m not working out, I’m making a healthy meal. When I’m not eating, I’m hanging out with friends or enjoying down-time. I believe learning to balance a healthy lifestyle with classes and work is key. I model for others at UNH to get out, stay fit, eat right, and find balance within their own lives.

How do you stay fit?: I work out 6 days a week; cardio in the mornings and weight training in the evenings. I also love to hike, swim, and play basketball pick-up games in the Whit, even though my skills in it leave something to be desired.

Do you have any tips for eating healthfully?: Eat your fruit and vegetables; no joke.

How do you find motivation to stay healthy?: Learn to love living a healthy lifestyle; then it’s no longer finding motivation, but purely enjoying it.

Have you made any tangible improvements to your physical or mental well-being by making positive changes in your life?: By eating right, exercising, and keeping balance in mind, I overcame childhood obesity and found my adult self.

Anything else you would like to add?: I would recommend taking a class at the Whit such as: W4, yoga, or boot camp. The instructors are great and really care about helping you get a great workout. If you want a custom workout or one-on-one time, check out the personal training programs at Campus Rec.

Fall Foods that Make You Feel Good
Why UNH Should Kick Tobacco to the Curb
 Signs and Symptoms of Stress You May Be Overlooking