Spotlight On: Barry Glunt

November 22, 2010

Barry Glunt

Business Applications Developer
Enterprise Computing Group

Year Started at UNH: 2003

What does health mean to you?: Health means feeling alive and staying connected to spirit and participating fully in work, recreation, and family.

What do you do to make a Healthy UNH?: I enjoy talking about health and wellness with my colleagues, especially talking about healthy eating when folks are together in the break room. I participate in Healthy Returns and encourage others to do so.

How do you stay fit?: I practice Ashtanga Yoga 4 – 5 mornings a week, and jump rope for thirty minutes in the afternoon. I also enjoy practicing mindful breathing, walking and eating. The walking path from the West Edge to campus has been a great encouragement to get outside.

Do you have any tips for eating healthfully?: A vegetarian diet is a viable option for most people, and the variety of plant-based protein products available now makes it easy to do. Invest the time in cooking healthy meals at home. These form the basis for good lunches. Also, the UNH dining halls have a great variety of healthy choices, and a meal plan adds a another option on days you cannot bring food from home. Drink lots of water.

How do you find motivation to stay healthy?: Appreciating the good things in life and keeping a strong sense of self-esteem. Recognize that your family and friends need you to be at your best.

Have you made any tangible improvements to your physical or mental well-being by making positive changes in your life?: I have improved my overall wellbeing by getting out of relationships that were not working and finding ones where I am appreciated and valued.

Anything else you would like to add?: You don’t have to do it on your own. Look for support from those around you, and from your spirit. Most of all, don’t wait for something bad to happen: take the first step today.

Reverting Back to Your Childhood
Physical Activity Rate Drops In Young Adults!