Health (Medical or Psychological) Withdrawal
Withdrawal Process and Readmission* Policy
During the fall and spring semesters, when classes are in session, requests for withdrawal from the University for health (medical or psychological) reasons are initiated through the Assistant Vice President for Student & Academic Services/Executive Director of Health Services, Dr. Kevin Charles (603-862-1098). Note: After classes end, you must contact your college’s Associate Dean. If you receive any financial aid, the effective date of your withdrawal may affect your present and/or future financial aid. Check with Liz Gagne in the Business Services Office (603-862-4807).
- Within one week of talking with Dr. Charles at Health Services, you will need to request a letter from your physician/therapist. Please note: This letter must be typed on office letterhead stationery; it must describe your condition, and verify and support this as the specific reason for your need to withdraw from UNH. Have the physician/therapist mail or fax the letter to:
Dr. Kevin Charles
Assistant VP/Executive Director
UNH Health Services
4 Pettee Brook Lane
Durham, NH 03824-3576
You will also need to print and complete the Request to Withdraw form, and mail or fax it back to Dr. Charles.Please note that UNH policy states that students are prohibited from readmission until one semester has elapsed following a health withdrawal.Please note that UNH policy states that students are prohibited from readmission until one semester has elapsed following a health withdrawal.
- If you live on campus, check out of your residence hall/apartment; leave your key with the Hall Director or Assistant Hall Director, and sign off on your room inventory form. This process will determine your official checkout date from your residence. Any possible refund is calculated according to that date.
- If you presently live on campus and will require on-campus housing upon your intended return to UNH, contact Sarah Taylor at the Housing Office (862-1754). If your condition will require any physical modifications to your room/bathroom, you must notify the Housing Office and the Office of Disability Services for Students (862-2607) at least 12 weeks prior to your intended arrival.
- If you have a UNH dining (meals) plan, contact the UNH Dining/ID Office at 862-1821 regarding any potential refund.
- You are responsible for determining how your withdrawal may affect your health insurance coverage.
Note: In New Hampshire, college students who are state residents are covered by legislation that requires health insurance companies to continue coverage for at least one year when the student is on a medical leave of absence (medical withdrawal).
*IF YOU PLAN TO RETURN TO UNH:
- Every student who plans to return to the University must apply through the Admissions Office. Contact the Admissions Office (862-1360) for a Readmission Form (you may also print one from the website). This form must be completed, sent to the Admissions Office, and approved before you will be allowed to resume your studies at UNH.
- In addition to the Readmission Form, you must obtain a letter from your physician/therapist who has treated you since your withdrawal, indicating the extent of your readiness to resume studies, a description of the status of your condition, and any special needs you may require upon your arrival on campus. Have the letter sent directly to UNH Health Services, Executive Director’s Office, 4 Pettee Brook Lane, Durham, NH 03824.
- The physician/therapist’s information will be reviewed by the Executive Director of Health Services, as well as your college’s Associate Dean, as part of the readmission process. The Admissions Office will consult with the Executive Director of Health Services and your Dean before making a final decision regarding your admission.
- About Us
- Flu Vaccine
- Medical Services
- Complementary Health
- Incoming Students
- Student Health Benefits Plan (SHBP)
- Fees and Eligibility
- Peer Support/Mentors
- Concern for a Friend
- Get Involved
- International Students
- Release of Information Form
- Campus Resources
- Employee Clinic
- Resource Library
- Health Withdrawals