Chronic Illness Support Group
Do you want to connect with others, care for yourself, relax, and live well at UNH? If so, Living Well may be just what you need! Living Well is a free support group for UNH students who are living with chronic illnesses or conditions (e.g, depression, Lupus, Chron's Disease, Celiac Disease, diabetes, IBS, etc.).
Participants will have the opportunity to connect with others and learn how to live healthy using self-care and relaxation techniques. This weekly support group is facilitated by Judy Stevens, Community Health Nurse at Health Services.
- “As someone recently diagnosed, it was great to meet people like me. I hope this group is here again next year. It was always the highlight of my day.”
- "I would recommend this group to others because it's an environment of support, openness and helping others in similar situations."
- “It was a friendly, open environment that has really helped me in coming to terms with my illness.”
- “It has shown me that I am not the only one dealing with these issues and it is ok not to be able to do everything.”
- “I love this group, it makes my week. I have made so many new friends and have accepted my situation more due to this group.”
- “It allowed me to feel not alone in my condition and have discussions I’ve never been able to have before.”
- “I am very sad this group is ending and cannot wait for it to begin next year, it has made my semester much easier emotionally and more fulfilling.”
- “I learned to advocate for myself, to ask for help when I need it, and I learned that I am not alone.”
- “I am now not afraid to be more vocal about how I am feeling and I will ask for help when I need it.”
- “This was such a great program. I wish I had known about it earlier in my college career at UNH.”
- “I learned to care for myself and to take time to relax. I now know I am not alone in going through all of this.”
- “I will now be more assertive in caring for myself. I began to advocate more for myself this semester and I know now it is OK to have a day when I cannot go out.”
- “This program made the beginning of my week amazing. I don’t want it to be over!”
- “It was supportive and inspiring to focus on wellness while conversing with fellow persons with chronic illness.”
- “I learned about choices I can make to improve my life.”
- “I learned I can be a more positive person.”
- “Glad this is offered here at UNH, it has enhanced my educational experience by helping me focus on balance in all aspects of my life.”
- “The discussions allow for a very relaxing/stress-free environment.”
- “This group helped me manage stress, I was able to talk to people about health issues without feeling I am a burden.”
- “I learned I am lucky to be the way I am.”
- “It was very helpful and a great experience to meet other people in similar circumstances.”
- “It was a good place to talk to other people who have experienced similar health challenges.”
Living Well is free and open UNH students living with chronic illness(es). The group meets weekly, except when the university is closed (e.g., spring break). Attendance at all group sessions is strongly encouraged. If you have any questions, please contact Judy Stevens at (603) 862-3823 or email@example.com.