Information for Parents and Families

Alcohol at UNH - What Families Need to Know. Alcohol and other drug use on college campuses is nationwide concern. The transition from high school to college is a vulnerable time, associated with increased alcohol and other drug use and risk of related negative consequences.  BUT YOU CAN H

Educate Yourself About Alcohol & Other Drug Use in College    

  • College Drinking 
    Information about the health and safety risks of substance use, including; injuries, unsafe sex, academic problems, increased illnesses, accidents, housing evictions, police arrests. It also highlights the economic impact when a student may drop out of school due to alcohol abuse or other drug use.      
  • Parenting Through the College Years 
    Information that encourages parents to stay connected to his/her student as they settle into campus life.   

Talk With Your Student About Alcohol & Other Drugs at UNH

Parents and families have an influence on students’ choices in colleges including their use of alcohol and other drugs.  You can help your UNH student make good choices by talking with him/her prior to coming to UNH and throughout their college career.

If you are worried about your student's use of alcohol or other drugs, the first thing to do is try and discuss your concerns with your student directly. The most effective approach is to show your concern by using "I" statements as much as possible. This will cut down on their possible defensiveness and it allows your student to hear how their use is affecting you. Be supportive, but firm with your expectations of your student’s use of alcohol and/or other drugs.

Talk with Your UNH Student About Alcohol Poisoning 

Know the signs of alcohol poisoning

Alcohol Resources

Resources Available at UNH

  • Education & Counseling Services at Health Services 

    An Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug Educator/Counselor who has extensive experience working with young adults and parents is available talk with parents. After the initial consultation, it will be determined what the next best step would be for the parent to take. You can call (603) 862-3823. 

    All UNH students may receive free and confidential education/counseling. These visits are confidential between the counselor and the student. This means your UNH student needs to consent in writing to allow any communication to occur between you and the counselor. 

  • UNH Counseling Center
  • What Your Student Needs to Know About the First 6 Weeks at UNH