Fees and Eligibility
Fees and Eligibility
Services for All UNH Students
The services provided at the Health Services Center are available to ALL UNH students, employees and dependents of employees who are over the age of 18.
Your Tuition Fees
All UNH degree students who take five or more credit hours/semester or non-degree students who take thirteen or more credit hours/semester are required to pay mandatory fees. These fees allows students to use services at Heath Services and/or the Counseling Center and covers many services at no or reduced cost.
When combined with a student’s health insurance coverage, the mandatory tuition fees provide a complete health care package. A student's health insurance is never billed for services covered by student fees.
You are responsible for any services provided to you at Health Services that are not covered by the fees. If you are unsure of your coverage, please check with your insurance company. It may cover partial or full payment of your charges.
You may also visit the Health Services Business Office (Room 104) with your insurance information if you would like us to bill your insurance company for any services that are not covered by the health fee.
Services provided during the semester breaks are fee-for-service and not covered by the Health Fee. There is a separate health fee during summer break.
Your Tuition Fees Cover:
- Medical appointments with Health Services clinicians (Physicians, Nurse Practitioners, Nurses)
- Individual health education and counseling appointments with Health Services Wellness Educators/Counselors
- Health education presentations, trainings, workshops and classes
- 24/7 access to healthcare during the academic year. Students who have paid the health fee may receive care at Wentworth-Douglass Hospital (located in Dover) and Lee Urgent Care (located in Lee) when Health Services is closed. Care received at Wentworth-Douglass Hospital may be billed to your insurance.
- Many acute prescription medications from our pharmacy, excluding co-payment
- Some lab tests ordered by a Health Services Physician or Nurse Practitioner
Your Tuition Fees Do Not Cover:
- Immunization and allergy injections
- Medication co-payments, birth control pills and non-prescription products
- X-rays and lab tests ordered by an outside health care provider
- Some lab tests
- Services ordered by outside health care providers
- Orthopedic equipment (i.e. such as crutches, air casts, splints, etc.)
- Massage therapy visits
- Certain medical procedures, including acupuncture visits
- HIV testing and counseling
- Ambulance fee or referral to outside provider
Full time degree students are required to have health insurance as a condition of enrollment. The University offers the option of purchasing the UNH Student Health Benefit Plan (SHBP) to all full time degree students.
You do not need to have the SHBP coverage in order to utilize Health Services or the Counseling Center. You can access these two offices regardless of your insurance provider.
When combined with a your health insurance coverage, the Health Services and Counseling fee provides for a complete health care package. Your insurance is never billed for services covered by the Health Services and Counseling fee.
All fees can be paid by cash, personal check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or Cat's Cache.
Bill Your Health Insurance
If you would like our office to bill your health insurance company for your charges, you will need to provide us with your insurance information immediately following your visit.
To ensure we have the correct insurance information, bring your insurance card with you when you come to Health Services. We will need the name and address of your insurance company, the subscriber's name and address, the policy number and group number.
Once you provide us with your insurance information, we will assume that you want us to bill your insurance for future charges not covered by the health fee. If there is a particular charge you don't want billed to your insurance, you will need to notify the Health Services Billing Office (Room 104) immediately following your visit.
We participate with the following Health Insurance Plans:
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield PPO
- Federal Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield Indemnity
- Harvard Pilgrim
Please note: We can bill any insurance company. It is your responsibility to know your insurance benefits. If your insurance company does not pay, you are responsible for all charges.
Who Can Use the Services Provided at Health Services?
UNH Students Enrolled on the Durham Campus
You are eligible for all services offered at Health Services, but you will need to bring your current student identification card with you to receive services. If you paid the health fee, most services are at no additional or reduced cost. If you didn’t pay the health fee, you pay a specific charge for each service.
Dependents (18 and over) of a UNH Student (spouse, partner or child)
Your dependents (18 and over) are eligible to be seen for acute problems during the academic year and, as time allows. These services are chargeable. You will need to contact your insurance company to determine if your insurance will cover the cost.
Health Services is committed to promoting, maintaining and improving the health and well-being of the University community. Services are student-focused. However, dependents of UNH students who have paid the health fee are eligible to be seen on a fee-for-service basis as described below, depending upon the availability of appropriate health care providers.
Any current employee of the University System of New Hampshire (USNH) can use the Employee Clinic. A current employee is one who has a valid ID card from any USNH campus. Dependents (18 years of age or older) of USNH employees can use the Employee Clinic.
You are only eligible to be seen for acute problems that arise during your stay. Payment is required at the time of service. As a courtesy, we can bill your insurance and refund your money after we receive payment.
You are only eligible for services provided by our Travel Clinic. Payment is required at the time of service. As a courtesy, we can bill your insurance and refund your money after we receive payment.
Health Services Business Office
Our Business Office is located in Room 104, first floor of the Health Services Center.
Questions about a bill:
Questions about the fee for a specific service:
Questions about eligibility/health fee:
Questions about the Student Health Benefits Plan (SHBP):
- About Us
- Medical Services
- Education/Counseling Services
- Incoming Student Information
- Student Health Benefits Plan (SHBP) - Coverage 2014/2015
- Student Health Benefits Plan (SHBP) - Coverage 2013/2014
- Who Can Use Health Services and Fees
- Concern for a Friend
- Peer Support/Mentors
- Paws and Relax Pet Therapy Program
- Get Involved
- Complementary Health Services
- Massage Therapy
- Information for International Students
- Release of Information Form
- Employee Clinic
- Resource Library
- Health Withdrawals