Incoming Students and Families FAQ

Most Frequently Asked Questions by Incoming Students and Families 

We routinely get asked the following questions during orientation. If you have additional questions for us, please look for the Health Services table during the Resource Fairs at June Orientation. We look forward to meeting you! 

What hours is Health Services open?

During the academic year, we are open 7 days a week! 

  • Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
  • Wednesday from 7:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
  • Saturday and Sunday from 12 noon - 4:00 p.m.

During semester breaks we are open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.

What if my student becomes ill or injured when Health Services is closed?

In a medical emergency, your student shoudl always call 911.

If medical treatment is not urgent but you are not sure treatment can wait until Health Services is open, call Health Services at (603) 862-WELL (9355) and press 2.  You will be automatically connected to the Team Health Medical Call Center. They will conduct a phone assessment, and make suggestions for additional care options, including a possible an urgent care center or hospital. Learn more about our after-hours care...    

How does my student get to the local hospital if Health Services is closed?

A student should call 911 for an ambulance if it is a medical emergency.

If a student contacts us after hours, they will be connected with Team Health Medical Call Center who will determine if he/she should be seen at the hospital or an urgent care center. If they do not need an ambulance and they do not have other transportation and live in University housing, the call center will contact the UNH Medi-Cat service. The Medi-Cat service will pick the student up at his/her residence hall and take the student to the hospital or urgent care center and back to his/her residence hall once care is completed.

If your student lives off campus, there are several transportation services available including Wildcat Bus, Coast Bus, taxi, Zipcars and UNH Wildcat Rides. Learn more about transportation services... 

Why do we have to pay a health fee?

The health fee is part of the UNH Health Services and Counseling Fee which covers on-campus services offered at Health Services and the Counseling Center. The health fee covers medical visits, many procedures and diagnostic tests, health education programming and counseling, as well as public health efforts. Services that aren't covered by the health fee are chargeable. 

  • All students are required to pay a health fee ($448 for this academic year) that allows access to services/programs provided by Health Services. 
  • This charge is part of the students' mandatory fees in their tuition and fees bill; this fee can't be waived. 
  • The Health Fee covers many services/programs provided through Health Services with limited additional out-of-pocket expenses.  For these additional out-of-pocket expenses, Health Services will submit bills to the student’s health insurance. However, all bills not covered by health insurance are the responsibility of the student. 

Learn more about the Health Fee...

Why does the University have a requirement for health insurance as condition of enrollment?

  • The insurance requirement is different from the health fee.
  • Having health insurance is a way to reduce the financial risk associated with medical and/or psychological care while attending school. It is also to ensure that students who need medical care beyond what the campus resources can provide - whether for physical or mental health – will have access to such care. Students who do not obtain proper health care can affect the larger campus community in classrooms, residence halls and other public places, as well as through personal relationships on a college campus.
  • Students have the option of waiving this requirement if they present proof of adequate coverage; alternatively, students can acquire affordable health coverage under a plan sponsored by the University and administered by Health Plans, Inc. 
  • A student’s health insurance company is never billed for services covered by the health fee.  However, Health Services provides some services that are not covered by the health fee.  If requested, these chargeable services can be billed to an individual’s insurance company. When the required health fee is combined with a student's health insurance or benefits plan, a student is provided a complete health care package, thereby significantly reducing the risk of an unwanted interruption in his or her academic work.

Learn more about the Student Health Benefits Plan (SHPB)...

How can I get information on care my student received at Health Services?

All visits at Health Services are kept strictly confidential. Health Services has a legal and ethical responsibility to safeguard the privacy of all patients/clients to protect the confidentiality of their health information. Therefore, information on health care provided by Health Services cannot be shared without the written consent of the patient/client, except in rare situations specified by law or Health Services policy. Learn more about our confidentiality policy...

Can my student sign a release that will allow me to access information about his/her health visits for the entire year?

Due to the need for informed consent, there is no such thing as a blanket release, meaning a student cannot sign a release that allows sharing of the entire record or care received at any point in the future.  Each release must be specifically discussed with the student before it may be implemented.

Are there exceptions when my student's confidentiality will be breached?

There are certain uses and disclosures of health information that do not require a patient’s/client’s consent. These are outlined in our Notice of Privacy Practices.

An important group of disclosures that does not require a patient’s/client’s consent includes those mandated by state law.  The following is a summary of the pertinent disclosures in New Hampshire laws:

  • Any person who has reason to suspect that a child has been abused or neglected must report the information to the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services.  RSA 169-C:29
  • Any person who has reason to believe that an incapacitated adult is being or has been subject to physical abuse, neglect or exploitation, or is living in hazardous conditions must report the information to the Director of Health and Human Services. RSA 161-F46
  • Any person who is present or otherwise has direct knowledge of any student hazing must report the hazing to law enforcement or education institution authorities.  The educational institution is required to report the hazing information to law enforcement authorities.  RSA 631:7
  • Any person who knowingly renders treatment or assistance to an individual for a gunshot wound or any other injury believed to have been caused by a criminal act must immediately notify law enforcement officials. RSA631.6 
  • (If) a patient/client makes a serious threat of physical violence to self or a third party, or a serious threat of substantial damage to real property, law enforcement must be notified.
  • (If) Health Services receives a valid subpoena or court order requiring the disclosure of some  or all of your health records, Health Services must comply.

Can I name a health care proxy?

A health care proxy may be named in the event a patient is not able to communicate his/her wishes regarding treatment.  (RSA:  137, J)

A copy of the health proxy form can be sent to Health Services, but remember that in the vast majority of cases, a health care proxy is needed in an emergency situation which will almost always be managed by a hospital and not Health Services.  A student will need to keep a copy of the health proxy form on his/her person (in a wallet or handbag) to ensure that the hospital is aware of his/her wishes.

Can I transfer a prescription for medications to the Health Services Pharmacy?

If Health Services carries the medication, it is possible to transfer the prescription. During the summer you can call (603) 862-2856 to talk with a triage nurse to see if we have the medication and, if so, its cost. If you would like to transfer the medication, your student will need to bring the labeled prescription container and his/her student ID to our Pharmacy when he/she comes to campus in the fall. Please allow 24 hours for us to transfer the prescription to us from your student’s pharmacy.

You may pay for prescription medications by cash, check, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover) or Cat's Cache. Unfortunately, we are unable to accept outside health insurance pharmacy plans at this time, with the exception of the UNH Student Health Benefits Plan.

My student is on medication for a health issue; is it okay to keep this medication in his/her room?

Yes, students are allowed to keep medications in their residence halls. If your student has a medication that requires the use of needles for administration or has psychotropic effects we encourage students to keep these safeguarded from theft.

What services are available for my student who has a chronic illness?

Health Services provides medical services and support for students with a wide range of chronic illnesses such as asthma, diabetes, Crohn’s disease, attention deficit disorder (ADD), multiple sclerosis (MS) and cancer.  Please feel free to submit health information from the student’s primary care provider or specialist to be included in his/her health records here. Our clinical staff will work with specialists/primary care providers to coordinate services and provide care including monitoring health/illness, lab work, etc.

In addition, Health Services has a Community Health Nurse who works to provide support, counseling and advocacy for students with chronic illnesses knowing that for some students with chronic illnesses the transition to college can have an impact on their health. The Community Health Nurse will send an email to students who identify themselves as having a chronic illness to let them know of her availability and to encourage them to make contact with her if needed/wanted.

Learn more about our chronic illness support services...

My student takes Adderall; how do they store their prescription and how can it be filled at Health Services?

Students can keep their Adderall and any other controlled drugs in their residence hall.  To safeguard these medications from theft, we recommend students keep prescriptions in a lock box that is hidden and that they do not share freely with others that they have these medications. 

If a student would like to get this medication filled at Health Services, they would need to make an appointment to be seen by one of our clinicians and bring their prescription. The prescription would need to be written by one of our clinicians since this is a medication that needs ongoing medical supervision. 

My student needs regular allergy injections, how do they get their serum to Health Services and can you do the injections for him/her?

Students call us at (603) 862-2856 to make an allergy injection appointment. At the first appointment they should bring their order and serum with them. We will then store the serum and schedule regular injections.

My female student wants to go on birth control, can she do this at Health Services? 

We provide contraceptive services. Students who are interested in obtaining a contraceptive method can call (603) 862-2856 to make an appointment to talk with one of our clinicians about contraceptive options.

Learn more about our women's health services...

My female student is on birth control, how can she get her prescription filled at Health Services?

If she has a new prescription from an outside provider we can fill it in our pharmacy, if it is a prescription we carry. She can see if we carry her medication by calling (603) 862-2856 or stopping by the pharmacy. If she originally filled your prescription at another pharmacy, we can transfer any remaining refills, if it is a medication we carry. We accept prescriptions that are written, called in or faxed.

Please bring written prescriptions directly to the pharmacy. Telephone prescriptions may be called in at (603) 862-1094. Faxed prescriptions can be faxed to (603) 862-3229.