Health Information for UNH Class of 2019

Health Information for UNH Class of 2019

Welcome to UNH Health Services - We provide medical care and wellness education/counseling services to all UNH students.

We Look Forward to Helping You Stay Well at UNH  


Required Health Forms for All UNH Students - DUE February 1, 2016

Form  About  How to Complete and Submit  
 Health History  

This is a form that must be completed ONLINE. Use your Blackboard username/password to login. 

Your completed Physical Assessment and Immunization Records (see below) will be helpful when completing this form. 

If you are living with a chronic illness, you may submit additional health information to assist with continuity of care. 




Physical Assessment

*Undergraduate students only

This is a form you must print and have completed and signed by your health care provider and mailed to UNH Health Services. 

First-year students are required to have a physical exam upon entrance into the University. We understand that some students may have had a physical exam within the year and insurance companies will not pay for a second exam. If this is the case, please have your health care provider complete the Physical Assessment form with the date and information from your recent exam. If you do not have a current physical or physical appointment scheduled before the July 1st due date, late submissions will be accepted. Students intending to play a sport should contact their coach for specific physical date requirements.



Mail completed form to...
UNH Health Services
Health Records and Administration
4 Pettee Brook Lane
Durham, NH 03824

You may also drop the form off at Health Services. If we are closed, there is a "drop box" on the front door.

Immunization Record

This is a form you must print and have completed and signed by your health care provider and mailed to UNH Health Services. 

Required and Recommended Immunizations:

  • MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella)
    MMR is the only immunization that the University requires.
    It is the University's policy that all students be adequately immunized against MMR prior to attendance. Students must submit proof of two MMR vaccinations or, if the vaccinations were received individually, proof of two Measles, two Mumps, and one Rubella vaccination. Students born before 1957 are exempt from providing documentation.
  • Meningococcal
    The American College Health Association (ACHA) recommends that college students consider vaccination to reduce their risk for potentially fatal meningococcal disease. In support of this recommendation, Health Services suggests you discuss the risk for meningococcal disease on campus with your medical clinician, and consider getting vaccinated. Ideally this would be done before coming to campus, but Health Services can provide the vaccine. Vaccination against meningococcal disease is not a requirement for admission to UNH.
  • Letter from Health Services Medical Director about meningococcal disease
  • Hepatitis B
    We are strongly recommending that all students be vaccinated against Hepatitis B.
  • HPV (Human Papillomavirus)
    We are strongly recommending that all students (females and males) be vaccinated against HPV,  the most common sexually transmitted infection that can cause health problems including genital warts and cancers. Females can recieve the vaccine through age 26 and males through age 21. The HPV vaccine is available at Health Services. 


Mail completed form to...
UNH Health Services
Health Records &  Administration
4 Pettee Brook Lane
Durham, NH 03824

You may also drop the form off at Health Services. If we are closed, there is a "drop box" on the front door.

Tuberculosis Testing and Treatment

You must complete an online screening to determine your risk of TB. You will need your Blackboard username/password to login.

You will be asked to answer the following questions:

Were you born in a country with a high incidence of active Tuberculosis (TB) disease or have you… 

  • Been exposed to active TB disease, you are required to have your health care provider complete the “Tuberculosis Testing and Treatment” online form.
  • Had frequent or prolonged visits to a country with a high prevalence of TB disease?
  • Been a resident and/or employee of a high-risk congregate setting (e.g. correctional facility, long-term care facility, homeless shelter)?
  • Volunteered/worked with clients who are at increased risk for active TB disease?
  • Ever been a member of any a group that may have an increased incidence of latent M.tuberculosis infection or active TB? These groups include the medically underserved, low-income and abusers of drugs or alcohol.

If you answered “yes” to any of the above questions you are at increased risk for TB. You are required to print out the TB Testing and Treatment Form and bring it to your healthcare provider for further discussion and possible testing for TB. The form is available after you complete the online screening. It must be completed and submitted to Health Services prior to your arrival on campus, but only if you answered "yes" to any of the questions in the TB screening.


Student Health Benefits Plan (SHBP) Enrollment/Waiver

This is an online process you must complete  each year to indicate whether or not you will be enrolling in or waiving the Student Health Benefits Plan (SHBP).

The University of New Hampshire requires all full-time degree students to have adequate health insurance as a condition of enrollment. Proof of insurance is required at the beginning of every academic year. Students have the option of waiving the requirement if proof of adequate insurance through another plan is provided; or alternatively they can acquire affordable health coverage under a plan sponsored by the University and administered by Health Plans, Inc. 

As part of this requirement, all full-time degree students must take some action - by either enrolling in the UNH Student Health Benefits Plan (SHBP), or completing a waiver with valid health insurance information.

Learn more about the Student Health Benefits Plan (SHBP)

Permission to Treat Underage Student/Patient


This form needs to be printed, completed and signed by the parent/legal guardian of students who are age 17 and under. The completed form should be mailed to Health Services.



Mail completed form to...
UNH Health Services
Health Records and Administration
4 Pettee Brook Lane
Durham, NH 03824

You may also drop the form off at Health Services. If we are closed, there is a "drop box" on the front door.























































Athletes - Additional Health Forms 

If you have questions about the required health forms, please call (603) 862-4557 or email


Wildcat Wellness 

Physical Wellness at UNH Emotional Wellness at UNH

Social Wellness at UNH Financial Wellness at UNH

Spiritual Wellness at UNH

Vocational Wellness at UNH

Intellectual Wellness at UNH Environmental Wellness at UNH

Alcohol - The Party Is Not As Big As You Think  

Alcohol at UNH


Wildcat Wellness Blog 

Wildcat Wellness Blog On UNH Tales

Written by UNH students for UNH students, these student wellness tales will show you the variety of ways and resources available at UNH for you to enhance your well-being in order to have a rewarding Wildcat experience.



FREE UNH Health Magazine 

UNH Student Health 101 Magazine

 UNH Health Magazine, Orientation Issue, Summer 2015

Subscribe to be entered into a raffle for massage therapy session with one of our licensed massage therapists. 


What We Offer - UNH Health Services Music Video 


FAQ from UNH Families About Health Services   

Incoming UNH students and families routinely ask following questions. If after reading our FAQ and you have additional questions, please look our table at the Resource Fairs during June Orientation. If you aren't attending orientation, you can call (603) 862-WELL (9355). 

Why do we have to pay a health fee?

The health fee is part of the UNH Health Services and Counseling Fee which covers on-campus services offered at Health Services and the Counseling Center. The health fee covers medical visits, many procedures and diagnostic tests, health education programming and counseling, as well as public health efforts. Services that aren't covered by the health fee are chargeable. 

  • All students are required to pay a health fee ($448 for this academic year) that allows access to services/programs provided by Health Services. 
  • This charge is part of the students' mandatory fees in their tuition and fees bill; this fee can't be waived. 
  • The Health Fee covers many services/programs provided through Health Services with limited additional out-of-pocket expenses.  For these additional out-of-pocket expenses, Health Services will submit bills to the student’s health insurance. However, all bills not covered by health insurance are the responsibility of the student. 

Why does the University have a requirement for health insurance as condition of enrollment?

  • The insurance requirement is different from the health fee.
  • Having health insurance is a way to reduce the financial risk associated with medical and/or psychological care while attending school. It is also to ensure that students who need medical care beyond what the campus resources can provide - whether for physical or mental health – will have access to such care. Students who do not obtain proper health care can affect the larger campus community in classrooms, residence halls and other public places, as well as through personal relationships on a college campus.
  • Students have the option of waiving this requirement if they present proof of adequate coverage; alternatively, students can acquire affordable health coverage under a plan sponsored by the University and administered by Health Plans, Inc. 
  • A student’s health insurance company is never billed for services covered by the health fee.  However, Health Services provides some services that are not covered by the health fee.  If requested, these chargeable services can be billed to an individual’s insurance company. When the required health fee is combined with a student's health insurance or benefits plan, a student is provided a complete health care package, thereby significantly reducing the risk of an unwanted interruption in his or her academic work.

What hours is Health Services open?

During the academic year, we are open 7 days a week.

  • Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
  • Wednesday from 7:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
  • Saturday and Sunday from 12 noon - 4:00 p.m.

What if my student becomes ill or injured when Health Services is closed?

In a medical emergency, your student should always call 911. If medical treatment is not urgent but you are not sure treatment can wait until Health Services is open, call Health Services at (603) 862-WELL (9355) and press 2.  You will be automatically connected to the Team Health Medical Call Center. They will conduct a phone assessment, and make suggestions for additional care options, including a possible an urgent care center or hospital. Learn more about our after-hours care...   

How does my student get to the local hospital if Health Services is closed?

A student should call 911 for an ambulance if it is a medical emergency.

If a student contacts us after hours, they will be connected with Team Health Medical Call Center who will determine if he/she should be seen at the hospital or an urgent care center. If they do not need an ambulance and they do not have other transportation and live in University housing, the call center will contact the UNH Medi-Cat service. The Medi-Cat service will pick the student up at his/her residence hall and take the student to the hospital or urgent care center and back to his/her residence hall once care is completed.

If your student lives off campus, there are several transportation services available including Wildcat Bus, Coast Bus, taxi, Zipcars and UNH Wildcat Rides. 

How can I get information on care my student received at Health Services?

All visits at Health Services are kept strictly confidential. Health Services has a legal and ethical responsibility to safeguard the privacy of all patients/clients to protect the confidentiality of their health information. Therefore, information on health care provided by Health Services cannot be shared without the written consent of the patient/client, except in rare situations specified by law or Health Services policy.

Can my student sign a release that will allow me to access information about his/her health visits for the entire year?

Due to the need for informed consent, there is no such thing as a blanket release, meaning a student cannot sign a release that allows sharing of the entire record or care received at any point in the future.  Each release must be specifically discussed with the student before it may be implemented.

Are there exceptions when my student's confidentiality will be breached?

There are certain uses and disclosures of health information that do not require a patient’s/client’s consent. These are outlined in our Notice of Privacy Practices.

An important group of disclosures that does not require a patient’s/client’s consent includes those mandated by state law.  The following is a summary of the pertinent disclosures in New Hampshire laws:

  • Any person who has reason to suspect that a child has been abused or neglected must report the information to the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services.  RSA 169-C:29
  • Any person who has reason to believe that an incapacitated adult is being or has been subject to physical abuse, neglect or exploitation, or is living in hazardous conditions must report the information to the Director of Health and Human Services. RSA 161-F46
  • Any person who is present or otherwise has direct knowledge of any student hazing must report the hazing to law enforcement or education institution authorities.  The educational institution is required to report the hazing information to law enforcement authorities.  RSA 631:7
  • Any person who knowingly renders treatment or assistance to an individual for a gunshot wound or any other injury believed to have been caused by a criminal act must immediately notify law enforcement officials. RSA631.6 
  • (If) a patient/client makes a serious threat of physical violence to self or a third party, or a serious threat of substantial damage to real property, law enforcement must be notified.
  • (If) Health Services receives a valid subpoena or court order requiring the disclosure of some  or all of your health records, Health Services must comply.

Can I name a health care proxy?

A health care proxy may be named in the event a patient is not able to communicate his/her wishes regarding treatment. (RSA:  137, J)

A copy of the health proxy form can be sent to Health Services, but remember that in the vast majority of cases, a health care proxy is needed in an emergency situation which will almost always be managed by a hospital and not Health Services.  A student will need to keep a copy of the health proxy form on his/her person (in a wallet or handbag) to ensure that the hospital is aware of his/her wishes.

Can I transfer prescriptions to the Health Services Pharmacy?

If Health Services carries the medication, it is possible to transfer the prescription. During the summer you can call (603) 862-2856 to talk with a triage nurse to see if we have the medication and, if so, its cost. If you would like to transfer the medication, your student will need to bring the labeled prescription container and his/her student ID to our Pharmacy when he/she comes to campus in the fall. Please allow 24 hours for us to transfer the prescription to us from your student’s pharmacy.

You may pay for prescription medications by cash, check, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover) or Cat's Cache. Unfortunately, we are unable to accept outside health insurance pharmacy plans at this time, with the exception of the UNH Student Health Benefits Plan.

Can my student keep medication in his/her room?

Yes, students are allowed to keep medications in their residence halls. If your student has a medication that requires the use of needles for administration or has psychotropic effects we encourage students to keep these safeguarded from theft.

My student has a chronic illness; what services are available?

Health Services provides medical services and support for students with a wide range of chronic illnesses such as asthma, diabetes, Crohn’s disease, attention deficit disorder (ADD), multiple sclerosis (MS) and cancer.  Please feel free to submit health information from the student’s primary care provider or specialist to be included in his/her health records here. Our clinical staff will work with specialists/primary care providers to coordinate services and provide care including monitoring health/illness, lab work, etc.

In addition, Health Services has a Community Health Nurse who works to provide support, counseling and advocacy for students with chronic illnesses knowing that for some students with chronic illnesses the transition to college can have an impact on their health. The Community Health Nurse will send an email to students who identify themselves as having a chronic illness to let them know of her availability and to encourage them to make contact with her if needed/wanted.

My student takes Adderall; how should he/she store their prescription and can it be filled at Health Services?

Students can keep their Adderall and any other controlled drugs in their residence hall.  To safeguard these medications from theft, we recommend students keep prescriptions in a lock box that is hidden and that they do not share freely with others that they have these medications. 

If a student would like to get this medication filled at Health Services, they would need to make an appointment to be seen by one of our clinicians and bring their prescription. The prescription would need to be written by one of our clinicians since this is a medication that needs ongoing medical supervision. 

My student needs regular allergy injections, how should he/she get their serum to Health Services and can you do the injections for him/her?

Students call us at (603) 862-2856 to make an allergy injection appointment. At the first appointment they should bring their order and serum with them. We will then store the serum and schedule regular injections.

My student wants to go on birth control, can she do this at Health Services? 

We provide contraceptive services. Students who are interested in obtaining a contraceptive method can call (603) 862-2856 to make an appointment to talk with one of our clinicians about contraceptive options. Learn more about our women's health services...

My student is on birth control, how can she get her prescription filled at the Health Services Pharmacy?

If she has a new prescription from an outside provider we can fill it in our pharmacy, if it is a prescription we carry. She can see if we carry her medication by calling (603) 862-2856 or stopping by the pharmacy. If she originally filled your prescription at another pharmacy, we can transfer any remaining refills, if it is a medication we carry. We accept prescriptions that are written, called in or faxed.

Please bring written prescriptions directly to the pharmacy. Telephone prescriptions may be called in at (603) 862-1094. Faxed prescriptions can be faxed to (603) 862-3229.