Tortellini & Spinach Soup
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 can (~15 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 5 cups chicken broth (or water with Better than Bouillon)
- 1/2 large onion
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 tsp. minced garlic or 1 clove garlic, minced
- dash pepper
- 1 pkg. (~12 oz.) refrigerated or packaged tortellini
- 1 (~10 oz.) can white beans
- 1/2 bag fresh spinach, rinsed and chopped or 1 small package
frozen, chopped spinach
- Place the first six ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a
boil, then simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Blend with a blender wand lightly, leaving some chunks but
smoothing the rest (it's personal preference). If you don't
have a blender wand, proceed to the next step.
- Bring the soup to a boil again. Add the tortellini and drained
beans, cover and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the spinach. Stir until the spinach
wilts (turns soft and shrinks).
You can use frozen, chopped spinach, but you must defrost the spinach first: Open package and place spinach in a colandar
to defrost and drain or defrost in microwave.