prep time: 15 minutes (make the sauce while falafel mix sits)
cook time: 5 minutes
- 1 box falafel mix (available at most groceries)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (juice of one lemon)
- 1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 2 TBS. minced fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic (or 1 tsp. minced garlic)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 large whole-wheat pita breads, cut in half
- 1 tomato, sliced
- some lettuce
Make falafel patties:
- In a large bowl, mix falafel mix with water according to package
directions. Stir well; let sit for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, form mix into eight little balls about 1" in
diameter, then flatten balls slightly.
- Fill nonstick skillet about 1/4" deep with vegetable oil. Heat oil
until hot but not smoking.
- Fry patties until brown on both sides (about 3 min.).
- Drain patties on a paper towel.
- Mix lemon juice, tahini, parsley, garlic and salt in a bowl. Blend
with a blender wand (or just beat like crazy with a fork!).
- Cut pita bread in half (making half-moon shapes).
- Fill each pocket with 2 falafel patties, plus lettuce and tomato.
- Drizzle sauce into pocket.