Chicken Tortilla Soup
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 1 hour
- 1-2 lbs. chicken breasts, cut into 1.2-inch strips
- 2 cans (~15-oz. each) black beans, undrained
- 2 cans (~15-oz. each) Mexican stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup salsa (mild, medium, or hot, whichever you prefer)
- 1 can (~4-oz.) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (~15-oz.) tomato sauce
- 2 cups grated cheese
- some tortilla chips (buy baked chips)
- Combine all ingredients except chips and cheese in large
- Cook, on low, uncovered for 1 hour or until chicken is cooked
- To serve, put a handful of chips in each individual soup bowl. Ladle soup over chips. Top with cheese.
Substitute 1 can tomato paste for tomato sauce if you want a thicker soup.
Add black olives.
Use tofu or beef instead of chicken.
If you have a crock pot, add all ingredients (except cheese and tortilla chips) and cook on low for 8 hours.