Herbs Pack Health Punch
When you add oregano to a dish, you're serving yourself
a dash of farnesol. University of Wisconsin studies
showed that farnesol stops the growth of some fastgrowing
skin tumors in mice.
Starving Student's Simple Supper
prep time: 2 minutes (to open the cans)
cook time: 25-45 minutes
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water, chicken broth, or water and Better than Bouillon
- 1 can (~14 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (~15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (~14 oz.) corn, drained
- 1 tsp. oregano or Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. minced garlic (or 1 garlic clove, chopped finely)
- some salt & pepper
- Put water/broth in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Add
rice, spices, tomatoes (including juices).
- Cover pan, bring to a boil again. Then turn down to just bubbling
and cook until almost all liquid is absorbed (about 20
minutes for white rice and 35-40 minutes for brown rice).
- Add beans and corn, and cook a few more minutes until veggies
are warmed through.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.