prep time: 10 minutes, to chop veggies
cook time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup rice
- 1 TBS. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped into chunky pieces
- 1 red or green pepper, chopped into chunky pieces
- 1 can (~15 oz.) diced tomatoes, Italian style
- dash cayenne (red pepper) or a little Tabasco sauce
- 1 lb. frozen pre-cooked shrimp
- Put 2 cups water in a large saucepan, and boil. Add rice, bring
to boil again, then turn down to barely bubbling. Cook until
liquid is absorbed - about 20 minutes for white rice, 35-40
minutes for brown rice.
- While rice cooks, put oil in large nonstick skillet. Add onion
and pepper, and cook until slighly tender.
- Add tomatoes, cayenne and shrimp, and cook on low heat
until shrimp are warmed through.
- Serve resulting glop on rice.
Use plain diced tomatoes, and add a little garlic and Italian seasoning to taste.
Use fresh shrimp, and cook just until shrimp turn white.
(Shrimp must have heads, tails and veins removed first!)
Add any other vegetables to taste.