Pasta With Chickpeas
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups medium pasta shells, whole wheat or regular
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 can (~14 oz.) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (~15 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 TBS. chopped parley, or 1 tsp. dried
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or 3 tsp. ready-minced garlic)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Cook the pasta shells according to package directions. Drain,
reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking liquid.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the onions; cook
over medium heat stirring as needed, until onions are soft and
slightly brown, about 5 minutes
- Stir in the chickpeas, tomatoes, parsley, garlic, and salt.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring as needed, until
the tomatoes are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the drained pasta and the 1/2 cup cooking liquid; stir 2
You can purchase minced garlic already prepared in a jar in the supermarket.
Add fresh spinach or frozen, chopped, drained spinach when tomatoes are added.