Pasta, Italian Sausage & Veggies
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 45 minutes
- 2 links ready-cooked Italian chicken sausage
(Al Fresco Italian chicken sausage is great!)
- 2 cups mixed chopped veggies your choice
- 1 cup cleaned chopped spinach
- 1 jar (~26 oz.) spaghetti sauce, any flavor
- 8 oz. whole wheat pasta (spirals are good)
- some Parmesan cheese
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to boil. Add the pasta, then turn down to slow bubbling. Cook for time specified on package, as pastas vary. When itís done, drain in a colander and leave in covered pan.
- Chop the sausage into quarter or half "coins."
- Brown sausage in a small amount of olive oil in a nonstick skillet; remove from skillet. (Sausage comes pre-cooked, but itís tastier if you brown it a little.)
- Cook mixed veggies in a little olive oil until tender-crisp.
- Add spinach and sauce and cook only briefly, until spinach is wilted and sauce is warmed through. Add the sausage to the skillet.
- Serve veggie-sausage sauce over pasta. Top with a little grated parmesan if you want.
Some veggie ideas: red peppers, zucchini, onion, mushrooms, broccoli, garlic.
You can use any kind of pasta, but whole wheat (or a mix of whole and white) is a great way to increase fiber.