Hearty Vegetarian Chili
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 TBS. canola or olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 small green pepper, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 TBS. chili powder
- 1/3 tsp. garlic powder or l clove garlic, minced*
- 1/2 TBS. ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cup V8 juice (one individual-serving 12 oz. bottle)
- 1 can (~15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- In large saucepan over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, pepper, garlic, chili powder and cumin and cook until onion is tender.
- Add V8 juice. Heat to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Cook 5 minutes. Add beans and heat through.
Serve over rice and top with cheese.
Add shredded or diced carrot.
Use garbanzo beans (chick peas), kidney beans or any other beans that you like.
*You can use minced garlic in a jar instead.