Curried Shrimp, Brown Rice & Peas
prep time: 20 minutes (while rice cooks)
cook time: 40 minutes
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tsp. canola oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp. minced garlic (or 1 clove garlic, minced)
- 1 lb. frozen pre-cooked shrimp
- 1 cup frozen green peas (petite peas are best!)
- 1/4 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 2-3 tsp. mild curry paste
- enough carrot sticks
- Heat 2 cups broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add rice, return to boil, then simmer with cover on.
- Thaw the shrimp in a large bowl of lukewarm water. Drain, then pinch off and discard the tails.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet and add a little canola oil. Cook onion and garlic for about 4 minutes until tender.
- Add the shrimp, peas, extra broth and curry paste to the skillet. Cook on medium for a minute or two, then turn off heat and cover pan.
- When the rice is done, mix it in with everything else. Or serve separately if you prefer. (Rice is done in about 35-40 minutes, when all liquid is absorbed.)
- Cut up a pile of carrot sticks to serve with this.
You can often buy curry paste in Asian markets or in the eth-nic section of your supermarket.
If you can't find curry paste, use curry powder to taste.