Chicken Spaghetti Squash
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 30 minutes
Cooked spaghetti squash creates long, skinny strands that look a
lot like thin pasta. Try it, for a novel experience.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 TBS. olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 3 TBS. minced garlic
- 1 can (~15 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. dried oregano or Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 8 oz. boneless chicken breast, cut in large pieces
- Carefully cut squash in half lengthwise. (Tip: Microwave the
squash whole for a few minutes, and it will be easier to cut
safely.) Remove seeds. Place skin-down in microwave-safe
dish. Add 1/4 cup water to dish and cover with plastic wrap.
Microwave for about 10 minutes. Cool until safe to handle,
then scoop squash out with a fork, creating long strands.
- In a skillet, heat onions, garlic and oil until onions are soft. Add
tomatoes, spices, and chicken. Allow to simmer 15-20 minutes. Check to make sure chicken is no longer pink.
- Pour sauce over heated squash on serving dish and serve.
Cook 8 oz. regular pasta according to package directions,
instead of spaqhetti squash.