Cheesy Rice Pilaf
prep time: 10 minutes, to chop veggies
cook time: 50 minutes
- 1 TBS. canola or olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 8 oz. mushrooms, cleaned & thinly sliced
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 2/3 cups chicken broth (or water and bouillon)
- dash nutmeg (optional)
- dash salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/2 lb. broccoli, cut in small pieces
- 4 TBS. Swiss or Gruyere cheese, grated
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil, then cook the onions and
mushrooms until tender, stirring often.
- Add the rice and stir to coat with oil. Add broth and spices,
and bring to a boil. Turn down; cook covered for 35 minutes.
- Add broccoli and cook another five minutes (covered) or until
broccoli is slightly tender and rice is no longer soupy.
- Stir in the cheese. It will melt almost instantly.
Try asparagus instead of broccoli. Remove and throw away
the hard, woody ends, then chop stalks into 1-inch pieces.
If you use white rice, cooking time will be about 15 minutes in
step 2 plus 5 minutes in step 3. But try brown rice! It's healthier,
and the nutty taste goes well with the cheese.
Parmesan cheese can be substituted in a pinch. But Swiss or
Gruyere gives the dish more flavor.