UNH Faculty Senate
Motion on Pre-Medical, Pre-Dental and Pre-Veterinary Education
UNH FACULTY SENATE
Motion # IX-M2
Ad Hoc Committee on Pre-Medical, Pre-Dental and Pre-Veterinary Education
1. Sponsoring committee: Agenda Committee
2. Motion Presenter: Jeff Salloway
3. Date of Faculty Senate discussion: September 13, 2004
The Ad Hoc Committee on Pre-Medical, Pre-Dental and Pre-Veterinary Education is charged as follows:
General Charge: To review the quality and function of pre-medical, pre-dental, and pre-veterinary education at UNH and to report to the Faculty Senate by April of 2005 the committee’s findings.
Specific Charges: To work collaboratively with existing UNH departments and the Office of the Provost to
1. Assess the function and quality of pre-professional advising as above;
2. Assess the adequacy of course offerings at UNH for the preparation of pre-professional students in the programs above;
3. Compare performance of UNH students on national tests such as MCATs, pre-dental and pre-veterinary exams with selected comparator universities and with national averages;
4. Compare grade performance of UNH students in the pre-professional programs above with the performance of students at comparator universities and national averages;
5. Compare rates of successful admissions, rejections, and drop-outs from pre-professional studies at UNH and comparator universities;
6. Compare the process of providing letters of recommendation at UNH and comparator universities;
7. Assess the role of faculty in advising students;
and to compile these findings in a report to the Faculty Senate with recommendations for action as will be determined by the committee.
The ad-hoc committee will consist of two faculty members from COLSA and one each from CEPS, Liberal Arts and SHHS, along with a student member from each of the pre-professional programs named above and non-voting representatives from the advising offices.
6. Senate Action: passed, on September 13, 2004
Vote: a voice vote with one abstention
Senate Chair’s signature: Mimi Becker
Forwarded to: President Ann Hart, on September 13, 2004
Forwarded to: Bruce Mallory, on September 13, 2004
Forwarded to: Mark Rubinstein, on September 13, 2004
Forwarded to: Jeff Salloway, on September 13, 2004
Click HERE to return to the main Motions page.