UNH Faculty Senate
Motion on Promotion and Tenure
Standards Oversight Committee
MOTION # XVI-M18
on Promotion and Tenure Standards Oversight Committee
1. Motion presenter: Louise Buckley
2. Dates of Faculty Senate discussion: 4/16/2012 and 4/23/2012
3. Rationale: The report of the ad-hoc Committee on Promotion and Tenure Standards, presented by committee Chair Jeffry Diefendorf on April 2, 2012, made recommendations which will need implementation.
4. Motion: The Faculty Senate accepts with gratitude the report of the ad-hoc Committee on Promotion and Tenure Standards, presented by committee Chair Jeffry Diefendorf on April 2, 2012, and makes the following motion:
The Faculty Senate calls for the formation of an ad-hoc Promotion and Tenure Standards Oversight Committee by the senate. The committee is charged with ensuring (1) that all academic departments consider and respond in writing to promotion and tenure issues raised in the report that are relevant to respective practices, (2) that the Offices of the Deans of each college (including Manchester and the university library) and the Thompson School Director consider and respond in writing to promotion and tenure issues raised in the report that are relevant to their administrative practices, and (3) that the Office of the Vice President of Academic Affairs consider and respond in writing to promotion and tenure issues raised in the report that are relevant to its administrative practices. The committee is empowered to recommend working groups bringing together representatives from department, college, and higher administrative levels to address issues that require collaborative action based on review of the responses collected from all three levels.
The ad-hoc committee membership should consist of an elected senior faculty member from each of the seven colleges and from Thompson School, who has served on the college’s (or the Thompson School’s) promotion and tenure committees, two Faculty Senate appointments, an administrative representative from each of the seven Offices of the Deans and from the Office of the Thompson School Director, and one representative from the Office of Academic Affairs. The chair of the committee will provide a report to the Faculty Senate at the end of the 2012/13 academic year.
5. Senate action: passed with a vote of thirty-one ayes, two nays and two abstentions.
6. Senate chair’s signature: Larry Prelli
Forwarded to: President Mark Huddleston, on 5/1/2012
Forwarded to: Provost John Aber, on 5/1/2012
Forwarded to: Lisa MacFarlane, Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs, on 5/1/2012
Click HERE to return to the main Motions page.