UNH Faculty Senate
Motion on the marine school
MOTION # XVII-M10
on the marine school approval
1. Motion presenter: James Connell
2. Date of Faculty Senate discussion: 3/18/2013
3. Rationale: The marine school proposers have agreed that the marine school will report through EOS and that the UCAPC recommendations will be an amendment to the marine school proposal.
Whereas the proposal to establish a School of Marine Science and Ocean Engineering has been in process for a number of years and has gone through UCAPC review several times and whereas the latest revision of the SMSOE proposal has responded to UCAPC’s concerns in detail and, furthermore, brought the parameters of the proposal into line with the General Schools Policy recently passed by the Senate (Motion # XVII-M2), the Faculty Senate endorses the SMSOE proposal and recommends to the provost the establishment of a new School of Marine Science and Ocean Engineering, to be administratively located within EOS. The acceptance of the SMSOE proposal is contingent on the agreement, in writing by the director of EOS, that the reporting line of the SMSOE will be to EOS. The Faculty Senate reiterates that the marine school degrees must be administered through departments, colleges or programs and that all existing procedures will be followed.
5. Senate action: passed with thirty-two ayes, one nay and two abstentions.
6. Senate chair’s signature: Willem deVries
Forwarded to: President Mark Huddleston, on April 2, 2013
Forwarded to: Provost John Aber, on April 2, 2013
Forwarded to: Jonathan Pennock, on April 2, 2013
Forwarded to: Larry Mayer, on April 2, 2013
Click HERE to return to the main Motions page.