UNH Faculty Senate
Motion on Honors Program courses
not on line
MOTION # XVII-M11
on Honors Program courses not on line
1. Motion presenter: Michael Ferber
2. Date of Faculty Senate discussion: 3/18/2013
3. Rationale: The University Honors Program (UHP), in consultation with the University Honors Committee (UHC), does not permit online courses to count towards the 32-credit requirement for completion of the Honors curriculum. The UHP is the quintessence of UNH’s aim to remain a high-touch brick-and-mortar university, and UHP students benefit from the smaller class sizes and real-time mentoring by faculty that is essential to their completion of the senior thesis, other program requirements, and participation in optional activities like those offered under the Hamel Center for Undergraduate Research. The UHP and UHC, however, will, from time to time, review and discuss the status of online courses in Honors education.
4. Motion: The Faculty Senate endorses the policy of the University Honors Program that does not allow online courses to count toward the Honors curriculum.
5. Senate action: passed unanimously.
6. Senate chair’s signature: Willem deVries
Forwarded to: President Mark Huddleston, on April 2, 2013
Forwarded to: Provost John Aber, on April 2, 2013
Forwarded to: Sean Moore, Director of the University Honors Program, on April 2, 2013
Click HERE to return to the main Motions page.