UNH Faculty Senate
Motion on approval of five-year
UNH FACULTY SENATE
MOTION # XVIII-M3
approval of five-year calendar
1. Motion presenter: Michael Ferber - Academic Affairs Committee
2. Dates of Faculty Senate discussion: 10/21/2013, 10/7/2013
3. Motion: the Academic Affairs Committee moves to approve the five-year calendar as prepared by the registrar for academic years 2014-2018.
4. Rationale: The rationale is that the Registrar, Kathie Forbes, provided our committee with the calendars for the current academic year (2013-14) and the next four (through 2018-19), as well as a copy of the guidelines approved by the Faculty Senate in 1997 and revised (to shorten the spring term) in 2009. She gave us two versions of each year, one with a spring term at the present length and the other with a spring term further shortened (classes beginning one day earlier, classes ending three days earlier, reading period eliminated, exam period shortened, and commencement held one week earlier), in case we decided to endorse the shortened term in the light of the student disturbance last April. As we have decided not to do so, we examined the first set of annual schedules. As far as we can see they all meet the guidelines and resemble those of the last few years as closely as the shifting of the weeks in any month from year to year permits. We see no problems, and recommend Senate approval of the five-year calendar.
We move that the Senate approve the Registrar’s five-year calendar.
5. Senate action: Motion passed unanimously
6. Senate chair’s signature: Todd DeMitchell
Forwarded to: President Mark Huddleston, on November 25, 2013
Provost Lisa MacFarlane, on November 25, 2013
P.T. Vasudevan, Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs, on November 25, 2013
Kathie Forbes, Registrar, on November 25, 2013
All college deans, on November 25, 2013
All department chairs, on November 25, 2013
Click HERE to return to the main Motions page.