UNH Faculty Senate
Motion on Procedure on Motions of Censure
MOTION # XII-M1
Procedure on Motions of Censure
1. Sponsoring committee: Agenda Committee
2. Motion presenter: Ruth Sample
3. Date of Faculty Senate discussion: 9/10/07
The procedure outlined follows (and largely quotes) the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the USNH Board of Trustees and the UNH Chapter of the AAUP procedure described in Section 14.2.4 with appropriate changes.
When a motion of censure by the Faculty Senate of an individual for specific actions has been moved and seconded, the following order of procedures will be followed:
1) The motion of censure is tabled.
2) Conference by the Agenda Committee of the Faculty Senate with appropriate administrators and/or faculty. Case may be resolved by mutual agreement among the aggrieved parties, dismissed, or referred to the Professional Standards Committee.
3) The Professional Standards Committee of the Faculty Senate informally inquires into the situation, attempts to mediate a mutually agreeable resolution, and, if no resolution is reached, makes a recommendation concerning censure to the Faculty Senate Agenda Committee and the Faculty Senate.
4) The motion of censure is debated and voted upon by the Faculty Senate.
Censure (4): An adverse judgement, unfavourable opinion, hostile criticism; blaming, finding fault with, or condemning as wrong; expression of disapproval or condemnation. (From The Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd ed., (1989); http: dictionary.oed.com. Retrieved 27 March 2007)
6. Senate action: passed unanimously
Senate chair’s signature: William Stine
Forwarded to: President Mark Huddleston, on September 26, 2007
Forwarded to: Provost Bruce Mallory, on September 26, 2007
Click HERE to return to the main Motions page.