Motion on Procedures for
Appointments to University-wide Committees
Procedures for Appointments to University-wide Committees
A. Date of Agenda Committee discussion: 8/26/08
The procedures for appointments to university-wide committees should be as follows:
1. An administrator asks the Faculty Senate chair to appoint one or more members for a university-wide committee or group. The administrator states the number of members requested, the charge of the committee, the committee chair if possible, and the date of the initial meeting.
2. The senate chair consults with the Agenda Committee and, per its recommendation, arranges for one or more faculty members to serve on the committee or group.
3. To confirm the appointment, the senate chair sends a letter or email to the requesting administrator, with copies to the university-wide committee chair, the new representative(s), and the senate program coordinator.
4. The administration sends copies of the meeting schedule to each representative and to the Faculty Senate chair.
5. The administration sends the meeting agendas to each representative or, if a seat is vacant, to the Faculty Senate chair.
6. If a representative is unable to attend a meeting, the representative will notify the senate chair as soon as possible, so that an alternate might be chosen.
7. After each meeting or at an interval agreed to by the senate chair, the representatives give a brief oral or written summary to the senate chair.
8. Decisions of committees or groups, which under shared governance should have faculty representation but do not, will lack validity.
C. Agenda Committee action: passed, unanimously
Senate chair’s signature: Marco Dorfsman
Forwarded to: President Mark Huddleston, on September 9, 2008
Forwarded to: Provost Bruce Mallory, on September 9, 2008
Forwarded to: Lisa MacFarlane, on September 9, 2008
Click HERE to return to the main Motions page.